help with gearing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ridden not hidden

hello all and merry xmas now i have been in the shed today to begin the rebuild of a motor that kegra did for me some time ago(just refreshing everything new seals clutch plates etc). and i am considering altering the gearing but would like advice the engine is a ts1225 with jap rod and packing plate wiseco piston 32mm dellorto flatslide the gearing is gp200 gears and its running 47 crownwheel and 18 front sprocket now the scooter has always pulled fine in all gears and has been sprinted with good results but on the road i have always felt that it could do with another gear so to speak(always felt it revved a little hard for the road). so am i right in thinking i could use a 19 front sprocket or is it the other way round and would i need a 46 crownwheel ? and also am i then going to go the other way and struggle to pull top gear?. any help much appreciated ;)
DJB
Dealer

http://www.scooterhelp.com/tuning/lam.gear.calc.html
I like using this, just to have a play. Are you running a PM pipe, as they do rev high up the rev range. GP200 italian or LI150 S3 18x47 or 19x46 should be fine.
ridden not hidden

forgot to mention pm pipe and the gearbox i am presuming is indian (the whole motor was new from kegra when built) and have never had issues with it as i know some indian parts are inferior
ridden not hidden

thanks for the link it tells me that if i go up to 19 front sprocket i would make taller gearing but does anyone think i would have trouble with the pm pipe pulling third to forth.
DJB
Dealer

I would stick to what you have and put it on a dyno to find your peak power. Just remember most TS1's only do about 75-80mph flat out,if geared correctly.
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
DJB
Dealer

Forgot about that one Tony :biggrin:
Excellent bit of kit
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The gearbox visualiser is a brilliant tool when you add in the revs, it can really highlight those gaps between gears.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information