Another RB bites the dust!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hydra
Dealer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44490397@N04/4091079202/

Friend of mine bought an RB kit last year; absolutely loved it, he had a TS fitted previously and found the RB out performed the TS, until 1500 miles on and then there was a lack of power. On stripping the top end down it was evident that the Plating had worn away! The Barrel and a new Piston was then taken to Chiselspeed with the instructions to re-plate the cylinder. Dilema; this all happened a week before he was going to the YSA Holland rally 2009. Knowing the re-plating would take longer than a week, it was decided that the only option would be to purchase a new kit. So off he went, four hundred and odd quid lighter, with his new kit, which was hurridely fitted and run in, ready for Holland. Which brings us to today, and with the end of the Scootering calendar upon us, he decided to have an health check on his latast RB, which as now done approximately 1000 miles. Oh dear, I don't know if the photo I have uploaded as uploaded, but if you can't see it, there is a shaded area around the exhaust port, more towards the cylinder head, over 10mm long where the plating as been totally worn away. This was taken to MBD today for their opinion, answer, Knackered!!!!
Don't know if there is already a thread dedicated to RB deaths, so I appologise if there is, but surely this cannot be only a one off, sorry two off!
shocky

what colour is the scoot , what tyre pressures and what wattage is the front light and was he using a yamaha dogleg brake lever............... only joking :roll:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
hydra
Dealer

Don't know what colour, but he didn't have a broken R1 shocker. Only joking :biggrin:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

we,ve never seen that before......... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
lifes a drag

has he got a long range stainless steel tank ;)
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

What oil was he using? ;)
What ratio? ;)
Was he using super unleaded? ;)
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

I see the problem, there's a couch in the bottom of the barrel...
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
T5-190

red ghost wrote:I see the problem, there's a couch in the bottom of the barrel...
Ha ha ha, and its brown :shocking:
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

lifes a drag wrote:has he got a long range stainless steel tank ;)
Good point. Not a lot of people know this, but because they are not sealed there is an issue with particles getting in the fuel and causing it to eat pistons. It could be a related issue.
ArmandTanzarian

Now we can all see it.

Any real theories why this should be happening. I thought nicasil was more or les indestructible short of a full on piston failure.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information