REMADE ORIGINAL DISCBRAKES : ITALIAN OR SCOOTRS TYPE ?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Soulpunk

any experiences with remade disc brakes ?
i want to buy one but don´t know which one is better.
the italian sacchi remade one or the scootrs one.
the italian one seems "ok", but didn´t convince me.
finish ok, braking not really.
fajes

I don't think neither the original or the remade ones had any braking power... ;)
wine for my men, we ride at dawn!
chippy

have to agree with fajes, i bought one from cambridge lambretta, finish was fine and it worked ok, but even the original ones were not perfect. hydraulic is by far safer
Soulpunk

the brake will be for a resto.
so 'no choice'. after some work / trying and plus reverse pull i think all discbrakes can work
as good as a drumbrake at least.

but what i want to know is: whats the better quality ? italian sacchi repro or scootrs ?
anybody with some impressions from the scootrsbrake ?
scootRS.com
Dealer

Hopefully someone can give you firsthand knowledge, as ours is a fairly perfect repro and much higher quality as various shops have replied after seeing them, but the main quality difference you need to understand is that the 2 main pieces of the Italian one are merely sand cast. Ours is high pressure cast like the original.

No vehicle manufacturer uses sand cast hubs. Sand casting is a low quality process normally only for trim items because it results in an item that it is much weaker (less dense), much rougher finish (usually requires bondo and can not be polished/chromed well), and less precise everywhere (so you get odd fitment issues). The sand cast ones from Vietnam that you see at some UK shops or ebay are even lower quality, so be careful. We've seen those crack open on the axle area.

On the other hand, a high pressure cast item is inherently much better quality on all those points. For example, you can mix and match our 2 main pieces with an original Innocenti half.

If covered in paint and bondo already the difference is hard to see unless in front of you, but compare the unpainted castings and the difference in quality is obvious:

Back plate:
ImageImage

And the hub:
ImageImage

By the way, for better braking you could add a hydraulic caliper and a MC hidden under the horncast. No modifications are needed. Or reverse pull helps a bit.
Soulpunk

thanks.
thats what you say about your own product.
ok.
anyone else ?
joespeed

Soulpunk wrote:thanks.
ok.
anyone else ?
he is not just blowing 'his own trumpet' they are good quality,
regards
joe
J1MS

The Scoot RS ones( in the pics) look just like the original's, very clean castings... 8-)

Anyone tested them yet..??
scootRS.com
Dealer

Soulpunk wrote:thanks.
I agree a biased claim without evidence is not helpful. My post was only to make people aware that the major quality difference is in the 2 castings, which hopefully the unpainted photos clearly demonstrate.

Usually you see these things painted, so people are unaware of how big a quality difference there is in the castings, and what that means. Same with hydraulic disc kits.

Here's one UK shop owner about them: http://scooterotica.org/tempforum/viewt ... 642#p20642 Maybe send him a PM?

If you speak German there was also a post by a large German shop you could look up on the German forum which Google roughly translates as "We have the first samples of ScootRS there. If more than amazingly well."

Hope it helps.
sugarlump

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information