REMADE ORIGINAL DISCBRAKES : ITALIAN OR SCOOTRS TYPE ?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
bjhart
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

coaster wrote:As mentioned in my response above, there seems to be a lot of 'lost motion' on my actuator due to the circlip groove being poorly machined although the lever does actually return as it should. I'm experimenting with some packing shims behind the actuator to take up the slack.
I don't think mine has that problem hence I can't fit an original actuator I think it is either the cable or the angle of the bearing ramps or both, I have put the non return issue to one side for now.
Adyonekenobi
Main scooter: Li150 Special, now TS1 225cc

I tried a new SCOOTRS front disc, very disappointed with the performance, brake lever almost touching the throttle and braking very poor.
Check and adjusted the fixed pad and moving pad several times, no better. :cry:
Changed the pads for Sintered type, no better. :cry:
Changed the moving arm assy for the Scootopia improved version, marginally better but i would not want a front brake that still i could not even risk an emergency stop, it was so poor. :evil:

Eventually I converted to a SCOOTRS hydraulic external disc brake set up, perfect. :D
Amazing front brake, perhaps too powerful but nevertheless, when was a powerful brake ever a bad thing?
I'm happy now with this front brake, whats not to like?

Keep scootering and keep the faith.

Ady :)
Spanner check the running gear before every outing, like in the Army. You know it makes sense!
coaster

Adyonekenobi wrote:........when was a powerful brake ever a bad thing? ........whats not to like?
You'll be riding around using I or 2 fingers on the brake and then one day, when you are least expecting it you'll need to hit the brakes in an emergency and you will grab a big handful of brake and lock the front end instantly :shock: . If you are on a bend at the time then you'll be sliding down the road before you know what's happening. Fitting a smaller bore master cylinder is a good idea by all accounts.
Muttley McLadd

coaster wrote:snip.. grab a big handful of brake and lock the front end instantly :shock: . If you are on a bend at the time then you'll be sliding down the road before you know what's happening. Fitting a smaller bore master cylinder is a good idea by all accounts.
This is why it's a good idea to practice doing emergency stops.

And anyone that grabs that much brake while on a corner really should sign up to do additional training. :shock:
CakeAndArseParty
coaster

Muttley McLadd wrote:
coaster wrote:snip.. grab a big handful of brake and lock the front end instantly :shock: . If you are on a bend at the time then you'll be sliding down the road before you know what's happening. Fitting a smaller bore master cylinder is a good idea by all accounts.
This is why it's a good idea to practice doing emergency stops.

And anyone that grabs that much brake while on a corner really should sign up to do additional training. :shock:
The clue is in EMERGENCY stops, you can practice to your hearts content but I promise you when something comes at you with no warning your instinct will be to over react. If you over brake on a slippery surface in your car you might lock up or feel the ABS kick in but on 2 wheels you'll be very lucky not to hit the deck before you know what has happened. It happened to me a couple of years ago on a GTS ridding through Croydon, a van pulled left into my lane with no warning (hadn't seen me :roll: ), it was damp and on a slight curve and I needed to loose a LOT of speed to avoid hitting him. Pulled the brake a bit too hard and the front end locked and started slidding. Luckily for me he pulled back in immediately and when I let go of the brake the scoot recovered....didn't do anything for my pants though :oops:

Just my view, you'll all make your own minds up anyway 8-)
Muttley McLadd

coaster wrote: The clue is in EMERGENCY stops, you can practice to your hearts content but I promise you when something comes at you with no warning your instinct will be to over react. If you over brake on a slippery surface in your car you might lock up or feel the ABS kick in but on 2 wheels you'll be very lucky not to hit the deck before you know what has happened. It happened to me a couple of years ago on a GTS ridding through Croydon, a van pulled left into my lane with no warning (hadn't seen me :roll: ), it was damp and on a slight curve and I needed to loose a LOT of speed to avoid hitting him. Pulled the brake a bit too hard and the front end locked and started slidding. Luckily for me he pulled back in immediately and when I let go of the brake the scoot recovered....didn't do anything for my pants though :oops:

Just my view, you'll all make your own minds up anyway 8-)
If you practice, you wont be pulling it too hard.
Once you've been riding a while, you'll start doing things like planning escape routes, so that you've got somewhere to point your bike to avoid a collision, rather than yanking on the brake.
If your instinct is to over react, please do some further training.
There's an instructor here that owns a training facility in London, if you'd like me to find out the details.
CakeAndArseParty
coaster

Thanks for that Mutley, I half expected some sort of sarcastic response and you didn't disappoint :roll: My ridding style has served me well for 44 years now so I'll pass on your offer. As I said, I am expressing my own opinion, I don't like front brakes that are too fierce, if you do and you reckon you can practice to compensate then good for you ;)

Anyway, apologies for the thread drift, I'm out 8-)
Muttley McLadd

coaster wrote: My riding style has served me well for 44 years now so I'll pass on your offer. As I said, I am expressing my own opinion, I don't like front brakes that are too fierce, if you do and you reckon you can practice to compensate then good for you ;)

Anyway, apologies for the thread drift, I'm out 8-)
My apologies. Clearly you know enough that you can't be taught any new skills. I doff my cap in your general direction..

I only wish my skills were so great that a professional can't teach me anything. Sadly this is not the case.
CakeAndArseParty
shocky

I wouldn't say my out board disc is any more powerful than the anything ive had on several motorbikes ive owned most have been twin disc 4/6 caliper , I dont however like the lack of progressive feel that massive master cylinder give which is why I fit the typhoon type
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information