ON THE ROAD REPAIR TIPS (VARIOUS)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Soulpunk

this topic is opened for "on the road" repairtips.
improvisation tips and easy to do roadside tips to reach the next destination and drive some miles / kms.

WORN OUT SILENTBLOCKS (large or small type):

needed: 1 little piece garden hose (1 inch/2,5 cm) , bit of medium grit paper

try to get a piece of 1 inch long garden hose from somewhere, cut a little piece off.
take engine bolt out, drop the engine carefully and stuff the little piece of garden hose from the inside in the silentblocks. can be that outer of the house is too fat, use grit paper to file it down. if the inner is too narrow, slightly grease the inside of the silentblock and warm the hose a bit (in hot water or carefully with a lighter).

with that you can easily drive another 500 miles somewhere.
its tested.

CLUTCH CABLE (INNER):

had this problem one time in italy.
vespa ones are too short for lambretta. the clutch cable for ape (piaggio) 3-wheelers have the correct length (ape 3-wheelers are still very common in italy. so you can ask everyone at every corner for a correct length clutch cable).

FORK COMPRESSOR / CLUTCH COMPRESSOR :

use a tension belt ! :)
wrap around engine case with a compressing piece (small wood / metal piece).
strap between 1 fork link and upper U-bend of fork (crossover).

:arrow: PLEASE ADD YOUR TIPS !!
mark

if spark plug blowes out of head stripping the thread . clean up the best you can and super glue the plug back in .
this does work :o
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

once on the way to morecambe my [solid mounted PHBH] carb was loose so fixed it with a piece of lard wrapping from a burger van in a layby.
got me there and back :D
coaster

I've managed to get round a snapped throttle cable by pulling the inner out and treading it under the front of the frame (bridge piece removed) and tied the broken end round the brake pedal. You can then operate it with your ankle.

A mate (Doofa) did something similar when the cable snapped on his 150D sport one year at the Southend Scooter Rally (circa 1971) but he just threaded the loose end up between his legs and tugged it with his hand :? I can see him now, sitting at the traffic lights on the sea front looking to passers by like he was shaking one off :shock: :lol:
Soulpunk

another one, seems obvious , but loads of people don´t think about it.
;)

PUNCTURE / FLAT TYRE :

if available, buy a bycicle puncture repair kit for 2.-
or think about an open bycicle store or, if not in the city stop some cyclists (most of them have a kit and a pump).
Train Driver

1997 on our way back from Milan i had an engine mount disintegrate but i was lucky i had Cezeta :ugeek: with me or as he was back then mild mannered nick 8-) .
He got me to straighten up the engine and he packed twigs and sticks found at the side of the road around the engine bar then filled it in with gasket seal,
it got me home two's up
dirtyhandslopez

If you loose your exhaust stud nuts, take the nuts of your cable adjusters.
If you blow a drive side seal, put 2 stroke in the gearbox. Rode home all the way from the Orkney Islands( after visiting Doofa, Coasters aforementioned friend) like that once.
That's not going anywhere...
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

I heard of a bolt being used on a holed piston :o
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
mark

soulpunk thats not a good idea imho ,as i did it in 89 and ended up in a coma for three weeks when the patch came loose .
yam-lam
Main scooter: serveta 125li & t5

SPLIT CARB RUBBER

when this happens cut a red bull can same shape as your carb rubber and fit it over your carb rubber :D it worked for me and also done the same with snapped exhaust ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information