THE NEW DGB LAMBRETTA GEAR BOX

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

A phone conversation three weeks before chritmas with Dave Briggs and a month later a gear box . Made of EN 24 and nitride hardend it will be much stronger and lighter than the original Lambretta gear box . Today we fitted the prototype in to the RB 236 demonstrator and did an initial run to make sure everything was okay .Once this was done i subjected it to 20 miles of pure abuse the 10,000 rpm type clutchless gear changes constantly down shifting in to the power band to put it through its early paces . Based around pacemaker gear box it performed very well with no problems and was a dream to drive though every gear especialy from 3rd to 4th . I will do a couple of hundred miles of hard driving though the gears then take out for an inspection. As long as we are happy they will go in to production shortly afterwards at a retail price of £375 which is a lot cheaper than i thought they would be much cheaper than what i had been quoted by other company,s in the past .The box is made in the UK as are the materials so the price wont fluctuate due to exchange rates. For me it will be a dream come true not having to scrape around looking for second hand gear boxes , rumagging around at shows for loose gears to make one up and not having to repair worn out sufaces. Most of all having the gear box i know has the best ratio,s on the shelf and brand new ready to go . As for the future we are looking to take it further ultimatley the five speed that works . As promised i will keep everyone up-dated with the progress but at the moment it looks around early March for production to start .
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

100mphlambrettaclub wrote: ........i subjected it to 20 miles of pure abuse the 10,000 rpm type clutchless gear changes constantly down shifting in to the power band to put it through its early paces
But will it cope when you road test it properly :shock: :P
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

what do you call properly , the way i have driven it today is way beyond normal riding im trying to strain it a hard as possible thats the only way to find out if its strong enough.You are more than welcome to try it out for yourself anytime for a free test ride.
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

Give these time to prove

I know where these have been made and how Dave and the company have put a lot of time and effort into them.

When I first spoke to dave about these we've discussed what ratio, why not 5 speed ,which to be honest would have been
What I would have gone for first but he wanted to prove on a 4 speed.

As for Price this is a good price, as Ive looked also into this and I to couldnt get one cheaper.

So only time will tell.

Smiffy

Dave whats the G for m8 (DGB) :lol:
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
coaster

That sounds like a fantastic achievement, role on the 5 speed 8-)
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

100mphlambrettaclub wrote:what do you call properly , the way i have driven it today is way beyond normal riding im trying to strain it a hard as possible thats the only way to find out if its strong enough.You are more than welcome to try it out for yourself anytime for a free test ride.
I was joking, mate ;) . Clutchless gear changes at any sort of revs will soon find a weak point, if there's one there, but the fact that this gearbox is on the road and being tested to such a high level, after such a short space of time, is amazing. Well done to all concerned.

As regards the offer of a free test ride, let's just say if it involves clutchless gear changes at anything over 70mph, you have successfully called my bluff :D .

Good luck with it. Hope it goes well.
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

storkfoot wrote:
100mphlambrettaclub wrote:what do you call properly , the way i have driven it today is way beyond normal riding im trying to strain it a hard as possible thats the only way to find out if its strong enough.You are more than welcome to try it out for yourself anytime for a free test ride.
I was joking, mate ;) . Clutchless gear changes at any sort of revs will soon find a weak point, if there's one there, but the fact that this gearbox is on the road and being tested to such a high level, after such a short space of time, is amazing. Well done to all concerned.

As regards the offer of a free test ride, let's just say if it involves clutchless gear changes at anything over 70mph, you have successfully called my bluff :D .

Good luck with it. Hope it goes well.
Thanks for that much apreciated ,the offer still stands by the way.
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

RinB wrote:Give these time to prove

I know where these have been made and how Dave and the company have put a lot of time and effort into them.

When I first spoke to dave about these we've discussed what ratio, why not 5 speed ,which to be honest would have been

As for Price this is a good price, as Ive looked also into this and I to couldnt get one cheaper.

So only time will tell.

Smiffy

I know that Dave is very proud of what he has acheived in such a short space of time . As for the five speed it will need a lot more working out and developement but we are on with that. When i used to sprint we were developing the bike constantly sometimes we rushed things and they failed because of it . I learnt from those early days "to finish first you must first finish" or something like that .
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

100mphlambrettaclub wrote:
RinB wrote:Give these time to prove

So only time will tell.

Smiffy

I know that Dave is very proud of what he has acheived in such a short space of time . As for the five speed it will need a lot more working out and developement but we are on with that. When i used to sprint we were developing the bike constantly sometimes we rushed things and they failed because of it . I learnt from those early days "to finish first you must first finish" or something like that .
Yep old Dave is proud

I personally can't really believe the price as I know there is not a lot of profit margin in the £375 price tag
When we talked and he told me the price I was very sceptical but give credit were credit is due.

s**t am I really saying this !! Dave's head will be so big :lol:

But still he has done what he said he would do

Smiffy
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
DACTEK
Dealer

I dont think that will break (EN24)T. Excellent and about time. 5 Speed :?:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information