GP150 cylinder - Mick Abbey Tuned - Back to the old school !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Micks work on race bikes, TZRs, RS125s and the like is well publicised, his love for 2-stroke engines from FS1E 50s up to RD500s is unrivaled, and now Mick wants to start work on Lambretta and Vespa cylinders. We are establishing a close working relationship with Mick, and its proving fruitful for both of us, exchanging ideas and swapping tuning theories etc, its great fun and i'm enjoying it thoroughly.

So anyway, Mick asked if i had any old cylinders that he could play with, he just wants to get a feel for the different options on Lambretta and Vespa engines. So i dropped off a cylinder and piston that was just a doorstop in my garage, and when i popped back last night, i was surprised to see what Mick was doing with it...... :D

Its just a piston ported 150 cyl, but Mick has done some great work so far, i'm particularly refering to the boost ports he's fed in up the back of the cylinder, that feed into the transfers. He has also started to open up the main transfers, exhaust, and inlet. NOTE: he is only half way through this so it will be much tidier when finished, and of course have more holes in it too! :D We havent meaured any of this up on a dry build yet, so there may be a few mistakes or mis-calcs at this point, but Mick is definitely on the right path, and as its a throw away item (or was until he ported it) it doesn't matter if we go too far or get this one a bit wrong, its just a practice unit. But i'm hoping that Mick does get this one right, and that we have a little 150 stonker on our hands.

I'm gonna run this on a 58mm crank, and use a 58mm piston to keep the bore/stroke perfectly square, JL4 pipe, 30mm Mikuni, AF close ratio box, 6 plate clutch, with lightened flywheel and sprockets and an Agusto or AddonV box. We really have no idea what this will kick out, but we are hoping for around 20+bhp at the back wheel. Ambitious? Yes, but its worth a shot just for research purposes....not to mention the sheer folly of it all.

Mick 'Worlds fastest Indian' Abbey is off to a flying start in Scooter tuning, long may it continue and we'll keep you updated as things develop.

It did look like this:

Now it looks like this:

Please excuse the marker pen on the cylinder where we have been drawing ideas in the cylinder, and its only a work in progress, so still a bit rough here and there......but the finished article should be very nice!
8-)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Feck me, that's gonna be a work of art. Can't wait to see the finished article :o
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
drunkmunkey6969

Lets hope it goes as good as it looks..... :D
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
J1MS

I thought Mick would be a good adition to the forum... But this is alot more than I was hoping for 8-) 8-) .... I like the idea of using somthing that most people are taking off there scooters cus they dont want them... It might just start an Ebay bidding war on old 150 barrels... :lol:
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

J1MS wrote:I thought Mick would be a good adition to the forum... But this is alot more than I was hoping for 8-) 8-) .... I like the idea of using somthing that most people are taking off there scooters cus they dont want them... It might just start an Ebay bidding war on old 150 barrels... :lol:
That would be fun...got 2 in the shed, might pay for my 250
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
sean brady scooters
Dealer

thats coming along very nicely mick....... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
the-brickie
Xbox live gamer tag: cap willard

Is that gonna be a finger boost as well or is it gonna match the other side and feed from the transfer?

Thats prolly the nice thing about small bores, you have a bit of meat to play with to cross drill holes and the like.
drunkmunkey6969

Both sides will have the 'Y' sahped boost ports that feed into the transfers.
jason frost
Dealer

Took this off an import afew years back
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

jason frost wrote:Took this off an import afew years back
'Kin Hell :shock: Radical
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information