5 plate clutch issue

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
biglezz00
Main scooter: Lambretta GP125 (TS1 230)

Hi, ive just built a ts1 motor with a 5 plate clutch
readspeed basket
casa spider
franspeed 5 plate kit
afr springs

I'm having trouble setting it up, I've got it to a point where it will engage but its adjusted all the way in and is no free play in the cable at all. I've not yet rode it but I'm pretty sure the clutch will be dragging. Any ideas why this may be? only thing i can think of it the spider may not be tall enough for the 5 plates maybe??

any input is appreciated!

Thanks
YAMLAM

Have you bent the tabs up on the bottom clutch plate ,might give a little bit more clearance ?
win or lose have a booze
biglezz00

Hi, no I haven’t tried that. I’ve seen them bent down on the top bevelled plate before too maybe that might help? I actually tried a different lever on it this morning and it’s actually helped quite abit but not 100%
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I always dry build clutches with no springs. That way you can easily tell if they've got enough clearance. I aim for around 1.5mm, depending on spring ratio, motor torque etc, but 1.5mm is a pretty decent all round number.

To get this right, you'll need a selection of clutch steels. Personally I never use the 1mm ones as I've had them warp in the past. Other people have had better experience with them than me, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

Once you've got that right, rebuild it with the springs and it'll be reet.
biglezz00

Ok cheers, I’m going to go back into it this weekend see if I can get it any better and I’ll bend the tabs too. I think my steels are 1mm bgm steels that came in the franspeed kit
I’ll double check

Thanks
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

How thick are your corks? I always use 2.6mm for 5 plate. I prefer to lose thickness from the corks than the steels.
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

I would also use MB springs as thee compress to 14mm where others dont , and as stated you will need 2.5/2.6mm corks and probably a 2.5 or even a 2.0mm top plate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information