under kick start fresco

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
daveLA

hi all
i have a under kickstart fresco exhaust but no down pipe, i have been looking on ebay etc. its the later type fresco with the circlip on the end ans in really good nick, does anyone know if the down pipe is the same as any other exhaust, would an over kick start fresco down pipe work?
any info appreciated

thanks
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

daveLA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:11 pm hi all
i have a under kickstart fresco exhaust but no down pipe, i have been looking on ebay etc. its the later type fresco with the circlip on the end ans in really good nick, does anyone know if the down pipe is the same as any other exhaust, would an over kick start fresco down pipe work?
any info appreciated

thanks
Fresco`s had identical downpipes im sure
give AF a ring.... & GL on that one :lol:
gaz_powell

From memory the under kickstart Fresco used a downpipe with a sleeve and spring mount arrangement.

The later AF type Fresco used a simple joint as per the clubman/standard pipe with a clamp.

The AF Fresco and Clubman downpipe is a bent 42 or 48mm tube and is very similar in shape from cylnder to main pipe.

There will be some cut/shut modifications to be done but it is a good start.
daveLA

thanks both and gaz your spot on "From memory the under kickstart Fresco used a downpipe with a sleeve and spring mount arrangement" thats exactly how it is, it may well be the way i have to go and try fabricating one from a clubman downpipe
i can remember when i was a kid making a castled socket out of a normal socket for a vespa clutch nut, i spent two hours on it! put it on the clutch nut and it snapped straight away! hopefully it goes better than that

like i started this message thanks for your help lads
gaz_powell

Two options
1.Use a 42 or 48mm off the shelf bend (with solid exhaust flange) and mate it the exhaust - as would have been the existing set up.
2. Use a 42 or 48mm open ended u bend and make a stub mount at exhaust (use say a JL stub) and mate to the exhaust.

AF sell a predone clubman u bend with exhaust flange and an open ended version.

Ive modified a new style AF Fresco recently by stub mounting the ubend to the cylinder, a bolted sharks fin main bracket and a tail pipe bracket but i kept it the same straight joint between exhaust and ubend but used an alloy SLJ clamp.

Someone like Harry Barlow is good at this type of work but he would need exhaust and a mock motor as a jig.
Mick Abbey in Teesside is another good bet.

You did the clutch tool as per the Haynes manual no doubt....
daveLA

yeah exactly haynes manual, you dont nex weeks lottery numbers do ya?
i am going to order a standard down pipe and get fabricating, i will let ya know how i get on
gaz_powell

Yeh, keep us upated
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

It is a sleeve as you can just about make out.
daveLA

hi storkfoot
that is exactly what i need, i have ordered a standard u bend as soon as i get it through i gunna attempt to fabricate it ti fit, i have the sticky tape and glue at the ready!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information