Running Downhill

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

I can recall reading somewhere that you shouldn't run downhill with a closed throttle due to possible seizure because of lack of fuel/lubrication in the cylinder.

Any truth in this?
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Yep, just keep blipping the throttle 😎
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Basically, yes.

Insufficient fuel (& oil therefore) will be delivered to an engine run on pre-mix whilst revving quite highly yet not under load/downhill. With the carburettor slide closed, the petroil delivery will be so minimal, the top end will be likely to fail.

If you want to roll downhill, then, for the sake of the engine, declutch, though beware. The practice of 'coasting' may be a tricky area as far as legality is concerned, though I think that the Law used to consider freewheeling whilst deliberately selecting neutral to be dangerous as there is no "Dead_Man's-Brake"

I hope that helps......
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Same applies if coming up to a junction after a long blatt as well, clutch in and blip the throttle. Going from loads of fuel to hardly any (fuel cools the cylinder as well) when hot is a recipe for a seize
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Excellent stuff. Thanks for that, guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information