Engine choice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chippy

Any opinions appreciated. Fancy something different in a new build I'm starting. Starting from fresh, no casing so I've come down to two. RT kit or quattrini. Completely different I know. Won't be doing long distances on this. Blast to work and weekend ride outs. Thanks
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

IAM having a rebuild at the moment a rt225 5 speed box a bgm 6 plate clutch jockeys for the rear brake vape ignition a bgm crank of the higher stroke costing me a fortune but he ho
chippy

Nothings cheap in the world of lambretta anymore. I suppose your looking at £3 to £4 grand. Not heard anything but praise for the RT kit. Are you having the reed valve version
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Running a quattrini currently one of the best engines I’ve ridden not cheap to build though
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

the big question is what is your budget ?
will it be a self build / dealer built/assisted?
what casings original or replacement eg casa /misano/ uni/ GT?
gearbox 4/5 speed / clutch/ignition / pipe are other expensive items to factor in .

i spent around £5.5k on my GT240 dealer built engine some of my component choices didnt work well together so left me a bit disappointed to say the least .

its cost me another £2.5k in parts so far to change it to something that should work well.

i think id build from the casing and transmission rather than start with the kit . this may seem backwards but the biggest price differentials are whats behind the kit think casa case V original / 5 speed v 4 speed 2nd hand gears etc . once youve got a nice soild foundation you can use the rest of budget on kit choice .

ive kept the GT block but have added a casa 5 speedbox / casa 7 plate clutch / primary drive /side cover and Vape ignition . this should give me a flexible and hopefully reliable back end no matter what kit i choose ,i actually went for a TS1 240 after watching Dan from scooterings ts1 240 youtube video,
all to be built by JB tuning as theyre not too far from me .
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

These days one of my priorities is to build engines that can maintain their tune, so a well thought out inlet side is key.

It may sound insignificant to many, but a good carburettor that allows for hot starting & functions well with adequate filtration makes the PWK's, flatslide Dell'Orto's, Keihins, Mikunis the best choice.

The 'geometry' of any kit not only attributes to the above but an engine that can fit any frame without battery tray removal is important.

Also, I can't get my head around the fact that a reed valve manifold should be an 'add-on' to a Nikasil lined alloy kit that has conventional porting, yet appers to have such a loyal following. Of all the piston ported engines, Mugello (with it's additional ports) is unquestionably the undisputed leader unless Charlie Edmonds' achievements are to be discounted.

All of my pre-amble leads my choice (if I had one!) to suggest a well thought out 'complete' kit comes down to the choice of very few of which the MQ is the best that I am aware of. Even though I have yet to get my grubby mits upon one, that would be my choice. If a tiny extra bit of budget allowed, a long stroke crank would be included, but i know that is the best choice from all the other kits that I have been involved with.
chippy

So looking at a dealer built quattrini with vape ignition/ 5 speed box etc from a bare casing you would not get any change from 5k
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

chippy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm So looking at a dealer built quattrini with vape ignition/ 5 speed box etc from a bare casing you would not get any change from 5k
The matching of cases, exhaust port & the optimisation of port timings, compression ratio & squish are not that complex.

Even if I did not already have the necessary basic equipment, I would have a lot of change left over from £5k to make the additional investment in a right angle drive attachment for a Dremel type device, though a good set of riffler files would cope with an alloy cylinder.

What is essential is a methodical approach. The German Forum users appear to have the will & capability to achieve good DIY results without resorting to farming out the assembly. Your initial Post:
chippy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 am Any opinions appreciated. Fancy something different in a new build I'm starting. Starting from fresh, no casing so I've come down to two. RT kit or quattrini. Completely different I know. Won't be doing long distances on this. Blast to work and weekend ride outs. Thanks
implied that you were the fitter, not the foreman ;)
Toddy

chippy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm So looking at a dealer built quattrini with vape ignition/ 5 speed box etc from a bare casing you would not get any change from 5k
I would think your somewhere near mine was @£2750 to build myself
Toddy

I would think your somewhere near mine was @£2750 ish to build myself £10 to them Mrs ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information