7 Clutch plates to 6

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Simon2003

Hi
I was told My clutch spec when I bought the engine was ,
Tino sachi deep crown wheel 47
Atomic spider
MRB pressure plate and springs
6 Readspeed reds
AF Long brass plunger

So I spoke to readspeed and got the 6 correct plates I thought I needed ,,opened it up today to remove clutch and there’s actually 7 plates in the clutch ,do I need to order another plate or would 6 be sufficient if I drooped a plate and a steel ,,my motors about 20 bhp RT225.

Cheers
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Much depends upon the torque produced, the spring ratings, quality of both corks & steels & why you decided the clutch required new friction plates.

If it was slipping with seven plates, there must surely be something wrong.

I've fitted scootRS & CamLam six platers that cope with about 30 BHP (by my seat of the pants dyno) but I also use ATF.

One scootRS clutch has been in since 2012 which needed nursing from day one. ATF cured that & even allowed for yet higher gearing subsequently.

Unless you are ragging the thing, five or six plates should cope easily with that state of tune.
Simon2003

Thanks the clutch was starting to slip so as was getting a respray thought I’d change plates ,and clutch as posted
Springs mb
Readspeed plates and steels
Simon2003

1mm steels 2mm topplate
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Unless there are indications of deterioration (burnt friction plates, 'blued' steels) the clutch may have started to slip as a consequence of the springs deterioration or misadjustment.

As the clutch wears, the centre moves closer to the operating cam & therefore the cable needs slackening which goes against what we tend to think.

As for springs, there are many on the market & my experiences have proved to me that some just do not keep their temper for long. Spring manufacturers catalogues are the best sources of reference though they may have MOQ's in which case the best places to buy are from dealers that have actual race experience. They simply have to use springs that will not deteriorate during the course of a race meeting. Last time I bought a dozen sets or so from John Balcomb.......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information