engine dies.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mickfeath
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA GP200

Hi, the scooter starts up, runs for about a minute, then dies, even with the throttle open.Fuel looks as though it is getting to carb, because after trying to re-start, the engine is flooded. Please help.
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

Had exactly the same symptoms yrs back, once warm died and would not start until next day checked everything plug, plug cap carb, choke connections the lot done me head in, googled it on mopeds site someone gave an explanation about cdi playing up once hot, anyway once it died the next day, I took the cap off The lead, out with plug kicked over no spark changed cdi from another bike, problem gone, not saying that’s your problem but worth a quick check,
Good luck 👍
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

choke sticking ?
mickfeath

mick1 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm choke sticking ?
THANKS.
mickfeath

Den 08 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:46 pm Had exactly the same symptoms yrs back, once warm died and would not start until next day checked everything plug, plug cap carb, choke connections the lot done me head in, googled it on mopeds site someone gave an explanation about cdi playing up once hot, anyway once it died the next day, I took the cap off The lead, out with plug kicked over no spark changed cdi from another bike, problem gone, not saying that’s your problem but worth a quick check,
Good luck 👍
CHEERS.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Is it 12v? Sometimes the LT coil breaks down when it gets warm.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Some very easy preliminary things to do before suspecting anything else are to check fuel delivery. That is, that the filler cap breather is breathing & that the float needle is not sticking causing flooding or lack of fuel.

A bit more involved is to check the fuel tap & filter, but it is often necessary to dismantle the tap fully to check the ports, which I believe necessary even from new.

I hope you can sort it out, but you will do so by being methodical. If you ensure fuel is being delivered, you can go on to check out the electrical system.

Electronic systems for Lambrettas of Indiian origin are not all they are cracked up to be. Recently, I rebuilt an engine with major changes that surprised me pleasantly on starting up with it's first half hearted kick using an old CDI that I had just slung on, hanging by it's connections.

This was a brand new AFR lightweight system that then would not work with the CDI supplied or two other 'working' coils!

Re-fitted with the old, ex race CDI, first kick again! Get your head around that!

You cannot take anything for granted with Lambrettas.......
coaster

I see from your other post that we are talking about a Royal Alloy and I doubt you will get very much usful advice on this forum as its predominately for classic geared 2 stroke Lambrettas, some Vespa and some bike engine conversions. My advice would be to try one of the twist & go forums or Face Book. Have you contacted the shop you bought it from?

Colin
mickfeath

No Colin, i am talking about my Lammy., but i do have a RA as well
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

If it getting fuel has compression you need to check the ignition is working 100% or possibly the exhaust system for a blockage
C’est la vie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information