Imola gearing

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
Simon lambretta
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special

Hi, I’ve just bought a imola kit, and I was thinking about saving up for a af 5 speed gearbox.Would it be worth buying,or stick to li50 gearbox.cheers Simon
Simon lambretta

Any body out there
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

genral rule is your final drive ratio is dictated by your choice of pipe, that been said im just building one of these with an af close ratio 4 speed box and im going for a 5.1/1 ratio to make sure it can rev enough, its getting a 60mm crank so I can lower the port timings a bit to get a more rideable engine, often the port timings are very high on imolas and make for a very peaky engine which can be not much fun to ride, ive got a pm pipe which is a revvy pipe. I know they do a short 5th gear version of the af 5 speed which will probably go well with an imola as long as you get your sprocket choice right.
Simon lambretta

Thank you
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

As Holty has said, gear requirement will go hand in hand with pipe choice... and pipe choice will need to go hand in hand with how you like to ride / what you intend to use it for. Without more details it is very hard to give you any advice that would be worth listening to. An Imola with a revvy pipe will require different gearing to the same motor fitted with a low revving expansion, and same goes for low revving or high revving clubman.
Leo
Main scooter: Lambretta

My Imola Kit is on a series 2 TV175. It runs a TV gearbox with standard sprockets. I tried a 16 tooth front sprocket and it wasn't as good. It has a GP50 pipe fitted.

It makes 21hp and pulls strongly from about 4500rpm.
Spj
Main scooter: 1958 Li 150 series 1 lambretta

Hey Simon: I am going through the same as you. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I have not heard too many good reviews about the reliability of the five speed. As of right now, my scooter screams through all four gears. I was hoping to gain a bit more on the top end and lower the revs a bit. I used a magello kit for a tv 175. 116mm con rod. GP 60mm crank. 205cc something close to that. Dellorto carb, casa big-bore exhaust. I also used the Li 150 gears.
I’ve been told that MB makes a good five speed gear box. I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger. Spj
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information