Smiths Speedo Recalibration

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

I'm not making much progress on this one as I'm still mulling it over. I noticed the repro I have has got some dirt or a mark on the inside of the glass and it's really bugging me and it really shows up against the white face. I don't want to start dismantling. SIP are advertising a Smiths repro but their site doesn't say if it's calibrated for Lambretta wheels. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Cav

gaz_powell wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:37 am Don't give up! I used 120mph one it was a fair bit out. I swapped to a 90mph one and it's about right on my S2, certainly no worse than a lambretta speedo and much better to watch!
Demonstrating that they must be the same speedo with a different face.
These remade ones are basic inside and not like original Smiths Chronometeric.
Yes you are right. It turns out these repros don't have the same complex multi magnet system, so I'm wondering if recalibration maybe a bit easier. Mine looks like the repro SIP are selling. I've uploaded the question to the SIP site to ask if their model is calibrated for a Lambretta. If so, I'll probably buy off them.
gaz_powell

I'm happy with the 90mph, was bang on at 40mph against a speed warning sign.
Given how much they are, Indian repro standard my opinion is your stuck with what you got.
Stick a small GPS speedo on somewhere?
Cav

gaz_powell wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 pm I'm happy with the 90mph, was bang on at 40mph against a speed warning sign.
Given how much they are, Indian repro standard my opinion is your stuck with what you got.
Stick a small GPS speedo on somewhere?
Thanks Gaz. I'm going to take your advice and give it a go as is. he only thing I'm bothered about is trying to get a certificate of roadworthiness. I'm told it's practically impossible here in Western Australia but I'm going to try. If the replica speedo isn't accurate enough when the time comes, I'll revisit it. Gotta say it does look pretty good sitting in the modified headset 8-)
gaz_powell

Have you got the 90 or 120?

Sorry no concept of your test.... Speedo isn't tested over here.

From what you say the 120 maybe a problem.

Good luck and Happy Christmas

Keep us updated
Cav

Unfortunately it's the 120, but I have sourced a 90 mph so will use that once it arrives. Seasons greetings to you too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information