Lloydie's S2 (slow) restoration

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
MrMac
Main scooter: 1961 Series 1/2

Side panels still the biggest issue that is giving me grief. I'm convinced they're too shallow. I had a new main crossmember welded on by a proper and well known scooter shop on a proper frame jig. Have no reason to doubt what they've done but is this gap underneath normal?

On the basis it is I just made up some 10mm packing plates and thought I'd see how it went together.

That actually is starting to look alright, but it does mean I'll have to get some 10mm flat bar to make them up properly and it's a bit naff, but once its built up I suppose you'll have to lie on the floor to see that it's a bit of a bodge.
MrMac

If I do build it like this then is there anything that it'll mess up? - assume 10mm less travel on the brake pedal won't make any odds? The only other solution is to cut off the main and front crossmembers and cut and shorten the rear stays to lift the floor front to back, but I'd rather not chop it about too much.
MrMac

Defo the side panels - I can only lift the kickstart side because after blasting the frame it had rotted out so much at the leading lower edge of the loop that I had to cut it out (and have made up the repair piece to go in once I've decided what I'm doing)

On the other side it wasn't quite so rotten and the bottom edge is still intact as a reference point - I'm going to have to lift that side by about the same amount, and so will have to chop the bottom edge back, but it seems like it's the least amount of butchering of original steel to do. I'd love to drop an original set of panels on it to see how different they are but I haven't got any.
MrMac

Runners wouldn't fit under that leading edge with the packing in place...
MrMac

Looks alright though...

Last question - how much gap should there be between the inner runner and side panel here - is a couple of mm OK or should it be more?

Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

You know I have a sneaking suspicion you know what you're doing. :lol:

It does look a lot better. My only concern is lifting the floorboard up might effect the fitting of the headset.
MrMac

Chrome ring so not a problem - leggies actually fit better against the ring with the floor lifted. See if there's any knock on effect on the horncast and front guard... Hopefully not
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Well, that's a bonus. I think maybe your cross member is a little low. It's difficult to tell for sure. But there will be a small gap between that and the frame tube. It's certainly got some pitting around there.
gaz_powell

cracking thread and some nice work.

Gaz
MrMac

To be fair, crossmember was welded on by a pro, on a proper rig, and it lines up with the front struts, which look original, and the frame is straight.

Anyway - I'm going for the pack the floor up approach as it means I don't have to do any butchering and I've ordered a load of ally flat bar to make up the packing. If I've got anything wrong, or OG side panels will fit better, you can just take the packing out and it's back to original (apart from the front edges of the loop).

Did a bit more today - will load up some pics.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information