Lambretta LI125 S3

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rodders1964
Main scooter: LI125 Series 3

Hello,

Hopefully you guys can help me. My Lammy (like most) is unreliable.
How often should the gaskets and seals be replaced?
The clutch has always been tight, even after adjusting the cables so maybe something needs replacing there?
Also, if I'm stripping it, what replacement parts would you recommend? Should I go for more power or keep it standard?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Rodders1964 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 pm Hello,

Hopefully you guys can help me. My Lammy (like most) is unreliable.
How often should the gaskets and seals be replaced?
The clutch has always been tight, even after adjusting the cables so maybe something needs replacing there?
Also, if I'm stripping it, what replacement parts would you recommend? Should I go for more power or keep it standard?

Thanks in advance Image

For the clutch, just make sure you use a good quality cable (chiselspeed do an excellent one) and don't bother with cable ties; the bodywork will keep it in place anyway.

Personally I'd go for more power but if you're just pootling around, go for one of the lower power kits like a gori 175 or casa 185. Standard pipe makes best low down power and maybe a bigger carb like sh20 or sh22 from scootopia.

You say it's unreliable, but in what way? Electrics, poor compression, slipping clutch etc .?
Rodders1964

Cheers mate.

I have a 42mm clubman on it already and a sh22 Scootopia carb (can't remember the jetting off the top of my head). Should've mentioned that before, sorry pal.

I'll bbqb have a look for those cables. Would it be worth changing clutch springs or not?

As for reliability - it's unpredictable. Last night it started with a couple of kicks which was brilliant. Other times it just won't start. If I go for a ride I worry that if I stop for a break, it won't start very well or at all. Just wondering if that compression or something else.

I've had it 7 years. Not done many miles but never had the engine apart.

hendy

Clubman and 22mm carb aren't great partners for a standard 125. Are you sure what barrel you have?
Rodders1964

hendy wrote:Clubman and 22mm carb aren't great partners for a standard 125. Are you sure what barrel you have?
No idea to be honest. Will it say on it?

Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

If starting is becoming, or is, a problem, I would consider getting the flywheel remagnetised, (assume you are still on 6 volts). My LIS150, was the same, some days it would start, then stop for no reason. Could kick it dozens of times, to no avail! Finally decided, after trying most other obvious things, to have mine done, and it totally solved the issue!
Good luck!
Rodders1964

Martin20 wrote:If starting is becoming, or is, a problem, I would consider getting the flywheel remagnetised, (assume you are still on 6 volts). My LIS150, was the same, some days it would start, then stop for no reason. Could kick it dozens of times, to no avail! Finally decided, after trying most other obvious things, to have mine done, and it totally solved the issue!
Good luck!
I think the fly wheel is fine. It had a new stator and cdi unit last year. I think it's 12V.

hendy

Why do you think the stator is fine?

Not trying to wind you up :-) just saying that it's best not to assume.

It's likely that your flywheel has been on for 55 years and would therefore likely need to be remagnetised.

It's a cheap job and will help ensure your bike is tip top.
Rodders1964

hendy wrote:Why do you think the stator is fine?

Not trying to wind you up :-) just saying that it's best not to assume.

It's likely that your flywheel has been on for 55 years and would therefore likely need to be remagnetised.

It's a cheap job and will help ensure your bike is tip top.
Haha no worries pal, I appreciate your advice.

The stator was replaced with a new one and I suppose I'm just guessing that they checked the flywheel Image I'll look into that though.

warts
Main scooter: honda

Starting... how's the compression?
After millions of strokes, the old rings could be a bit tired.

Basic Otto cycle: Ignition at right time-ish, Fuel in correct-ish quantities, Compression... adequate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information