Trouble removing air box cover

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sconav

Hi folks,

Quick question hopefully someone may be able to shed some light!

I have been doing some maintenance and getting to know my scooter lately. One job I wanted to do was clean the air filter and carb etc. However this is where I have hit a bit of a problem! I can't get the air box cover off. The screws came our easy enough but there just not enough room to lift up and clear. It's hitting the frame at the back corner.

I'm assuming it's an aftermarket unit fitted by the previous owner. My question is, has it been fitted correctly or is there a special way of gaining access. The only way I can see is to remove the lower shock bolt and drop the rear of the engine away from the frame slightly. This is not very practical to be honest.

It's a PX125 VNX2T with a 170 kit fitted.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

TIA ImageImage

ImageImage
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

If you remove the throttle screw, it looks like it should come off.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Looking sat that I'd say the rear shock is allowing the frame to sit too low. You can see where its been catching on that back corner when you're sat on it and the shock is compressed. There should be plenty of room to get the carb box cover off, they're a standard size regardless.

In fact, looking at that first picture you can tell the frame is sat low. The carb box top should be sat pretty much flat horizontal rather than sloping back, and the rubber air tube looks like its stretched out rather than compressed.

I think a new rear shock is needed, assuming its not adjustable?
sconav

storkfoot wrote:If you remove the throttle screw, it looks like it should come off.
Thanks. Does the throttle screw come out? Does it just unscrew. Might just give enough room.
sconav

hat wrote:Looking sat that I'd say the rear shock is allowing the frame to sit too low. You can see where its been catching on that back corner when you're sat on it and the shock is compressed. There should be plenty of room to get the carb box cover off, they're a standard size regardless.

In fact, looking at that first picture you can tell the frame is sat low. The carb box top should be sat pretty much flat horizontal rather than sloping back, and the rubber air tube looks like its stretched out rather than compressed.

The shock is adjustable I've adjusted it to its limit thinking that might just give me enough room but no luck.

I will check to see if it's touching when sat on the bike.

Good to know they are all standard size air boxes!

Thanks.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

sconav wrote:
storkfoot wrote:If you remove the throttle screw, it looks like it should come off.
Thanks. Does the throttle screw come out? Does it just unscrew. Might just give enough room.
Yes, first screw it in as far as it'll go but make a note of precisely how many turns that is. Then just screw it right out. When you come to put it back in, put it back to the same number of turns out, assuming that it ticks over nicely in the first place.
sconav

storkfoot wrote:
sconav wrote:
Yes, first screw it in as far as it'll go but make a note of precisely how many turns that is. Then just screw it right out. When you come to put it back in, put it back to the same number of turns out, assuming that it ticks over nicely in the first place.
Cheers. Will try this tomorrow Image
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

hat wrote:Looking sat that I'd say the rear shock is allowing the frame to sit too low. You can see where its been catching on that back corner when you're sat on it and the shock is compressed. There should be plenty of room to get the carb box cover off, they're a standard size regardless.

+1

I've never had a px125 but several P200es and the carb top came off without issue on all of them. Same on supers and rallys.

Is the shock sitting straight or is the shock/ mounting built allowing the motor to lean in toward the frame?
ducksta

do you have the extended nut on the rear shock that makes it sit higher.
live life your a long time dead
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I think that the front engine mount rubbers (silent blocks)are worn causing the engine too sit further back than it should.What hat is advocating would mean having a shorter shocker.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information