T5 DC Stator Plate

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

Does anyone know of someone who can convert my MK1 T5 Stator plate to full DC?

Cheers
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

If you have a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.

There are four lighting coils in series. At one end is a wire which goes to the Vespa regulator. At the other end of the series of four is a wire going from the coil to an Earth tab.

Cut the wire off the Earth tab and solder on another wire (preferably the same colour as the wire at the other end of the series of four coils). Then connect both wires to the yellow wires on a Wassel and you are there.

The black on the Wassel is an Earth, and the red provides all the power (12v DC).
Martin
Arfur

Knowledge wrote:If you have a soldering iron, you can do it yourself.

There are four lighting coils in series. At one end is a wire which goes to the Vespa regulator. At the other end of the series of four is a wire going from the coil to an Earth tab.

Cut the wire off the Earth tab and solder on another wire (preferably the same colour as the wire at the other end of the series of four coils). Then connect both wires to the yellow wires on a Wassel and you are there.

The black on the Wassel is an Earth, and the red provides all the power (12v DC).
Pics? I'm illiterate LOL
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

You need to cut the black wire back or terminate it so there's no connection to it... it's basically an earth wire.

Then cut and reconnect the link as Knowledge describes - shown in the picture.

The new wire connects to the now loose end of the coil. I use a blue wire. That makes two blue wires both of which supply power to the regulator rectifier. I use a cheap ebay ATV unit - must be a full wave regulator rectifier. Mine has been going well for a couple of years now.
My soldering iron is a bit pissweak so I just use a screw connector.
Arfur

Cheers Ginch that looks pretty straight forward just need rectifier and connect for that (what wire to what) LOL
Arfur

and what connects to the battery
Ginch

Well the one I bought has a diagram which is pretty simple - black and red (like Knowledge's example) is DC out, leaving pink and yellow as AC in. I connected those to the two blues and that's it. I have a battery with a switch and have found that even if the battery is switched out of the system I still get DC from the regulator.

However if you connect this into your current wiring loom I'm not sure what will happen... some stuff on the PX/T5 is AC powered and some comes from the battery. My system is installed on a Super and has a two-wire loom so it's very simple. Just had a look at a T5 loom and there's more wires than I have fingers... :) so I'm not going to be of any help on that side of things.
Arfur

LOL cheers Ginch the wiring loom is DC ready and nothing is stock in this build, LED indicators, DC Stebbel Horn, DC GPS Speedo bike bars and switch gear with twin headlight fairing and LED rear light unit so I think I can make it work. It was the Stator and rectifier that was stumping me.
Thanks for the help.
Rsport220

I was going to say the standard indicator relay doesn`t work on DC but it looks like you`ve got that covered. Interesting spec on the T5, got any pics, would be great to see more Vespa projects on the forum.
Ginch

No worries and good luck with the project. Love to see some pictures too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information