Inline toggle switch

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
oneday

Just finnishing a chop with a 180 runner engine and thought i could get away without a fan on the rad. Now realise i am wrong so going to hard wire one to the battery with an inline toggle switch. Anybody recomend an inline switch that actually works!! Had a couple off of ebay and absolute sh#t!! :twisted:
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi, ive got a fan on my 350gp they draw too many amps to use directly through the switch, a relay is the way to go, a 4 way relay, you can use a cheap switch to switch the relay on, which works like a solenoid, conneting the power supply to the fan, a spotlight relay is the one i used, then it wont melt the switch, fit an inline fuse as well just incase you have a short.i wired my relay to an adjustable fan switch so i can adjust what temp it kicks in at, you might not have a switched live unless you have a dc ignition switch, i havent, so i have all my electronic bits and bobs running on the lighting circuit from a relay so i dont overload the switch, i like to ride with lights on anyway so i can be seen.

holty
holty

this kind of arrangement, the wire that goes to the lights would go to one of your fan wires.
oneday

Cheers Holty and thanks for the picture.

As i said couple of switches i bought were useless so, pressuming yours works, where did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking?
holty

i got my variable switch off ebay, just a cheap chinese one, has a thermocouple attached, it replaces the toggle switch
holty

but you could just use a cheap toggle switch and it wont burn it out as the relay carries the load, not the switch
oneday

On the diagram is the spade marked A8 in purple, A1 in yellow an earth?
coaster

oneday wrote:On the diagram is the spade marked A8 in purple, A1 in yellow an earth?
No, it's the positive feed which is needed to switch the relay on. When a positive feed is applied to term 86 (switch closed), terminals 30 and 87 are connected together internally and your spot/fan receives its high amperage power. When the positive is removed (switch open) the feed to the spot/fan is removed.
oneday

I know now why i steer clear of electrics, does my head in!!

Pressumably as its a live from the battery it requires a fuse?
coaster

oneday wrote:I know now why i steer clear of electrics, does my head in!!

Pressumably as its a live from the battery it requires a fuse?
It would be better just to tap into an existing feed that's live with the ignition on. The coil in the relay will only require a few milliamps to operate so will easily be covered by the existing fuse in that circuit. If you run it to the battery it will be live all the time which you won't want in case someone plays with your switches whilst the scoot is unattended and flattens your battery.

For you and anyone else needing to understand what a relay does and how it works, this link should help, just ignore the first paragraph of waffle, the simulations are very good though
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howrelayswork.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information