Primary Drive question

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
retrorich
Main scooter: sx200 1966

Has anyone used 14-47 sprockets on Italian SX200 gearbox.
Engine is tuned Muggy 200-26PHBH with power jet and ancillotti exhaust-Varitronic Ignition

Thanks
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

No, but I hope that you have a good clutch!... said as the smaller the front sprocket, the more power the clutch has to deal with, which was the reason for Innocenti going 18/47 on the GP200 as the standard clutch couldn't cope and the uprated springs of the GT200 and SX200/TV175 were making the clutch too stiff to be pleasant for many.

Tuned kit + more BHP + small front sprocket = hard life for your clutch.

Sorry if you know all this anyway, I just wanted to raise the topic in the hope that it might help avoid future issues.

Adam
retrorich

Thanks for your reply. It was not my choice of configuration however, it does have a good performance 5 plate clutch which will hopefully cope. A hard ride in 4th up hill with a head wind will prove one way or another. The only thing the clutch can thank me for is that I am only 11.5 stone
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

What's the thinking in going for a 14 front sprocket ?
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
retrorich

Idea was to get scooter to pull well in all gears particularly 4th as it is hilly where I live and to keep revving in a head wind. SX200 gearbox has big jump between 3-4th gears and am constantly having drop to 3rd
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

You think its hilly were you live ? You should live were I live, even the sheep wear oxygen masks.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

I run 14/46 (5.16) on an Imola ultimate using an SX 200 box and a readspeed 5 plate clutch, which if i’m honest is a great clutch but only just copes with the power when it kicks in...and it kicks in violently at 5000-5500 RPM (sometimes i’m not sure if the clutch slips ) the bike was set up with a 30mm dellorto and was just over 21BHP (on a conservative reading dyno) I also have a 230 TS1 i just built in one of my other bikes (just over 26 BHP on same dyno, same day) that uses an Indian GP box 19/47 and a surflex 4 plate with up rated springs, and copes fine

My Imola will be going back on the dyno soon and i will be changing the gearbox to an Indian GP200 with 18/46 (5.1) to keep the same final drive before it goes, because i have changed carb from a PHBH to a pwk 28/30 and the difference in low throttle riding , pick up/throttle response/ over rev, panel clearance etc is night and day (don’t think i will ever use a PHBH on any of my bikes again)

Hope that helps
retrorich

Thanks Padge

Mine puts out 15.5 bhp and I am a lightweight so only time will tell. I ride all my scooters really hard so any issues will surface quickly I would think
sean brady scooters
Dealer

your location says "kingston upon thames " which isnt exactly what i would describe as hilly as its only a max of 10 meters above sea level ! lol.
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
YAMLAM

sean brady scooters wrote:your location says "kingston upon thames " which isnt exactly what i would describe as hilly as its only a max of 10 meters above sea level ! lol.
i was just thinking the same, i live about 8/10 miles from Kingston, only hill i can think of is petersham hill.

best gearing advice i ever read was by webbo, " fit the lowest set of gears available to you and play about with the sprockets " or something of that ilk.
Gp125 (Italian or Indian ) gives you more choice of ratio`s than most other boxes.
win or lose have a booze
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information