Drive side sliding dog.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, would a badly worn drive sliding dog cause the kickstart to feel like it's not engaging? I've just stripped the side casing off for the 2nd time as the kick start wouldn't or didn't seem to be engaging. The 1st time I noticed the sliding dog had moved from its position and had slipped over the front sprocket so that their two highest points were touching ( I hope that makes sense.) There were signs on the inside of the casing of the Cush drive rubbing on it. Anyway I undid it and put it back as it should be and torqued it down. Anyway the kickstart started slipping again and after stripping it down the sliding dog had moved again. It's very badly worn but luckily a mate has a very good condition Innocenti one I can have. Before I put it all together I'd like to know if this would cause the issue I've mentioned or do I need to look elsewhere? Any advice very welcome. Cheers Pete.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

certainly could be- the whole chain set up and front sprocket is moving, and because the cush drive is very worn, the piston is not being activated, thus giving the impression the K/S mechanism is not working.

When you rebuild make sure the spring is the correct one (S1 springs are shorter), and that the top part of the mechanism slots down the castellated part of the shaft.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
10 inch Terror

Cheers Chris. While I'm on the subject would the same thing cause clutch slip symptoms when in the power band?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

It sounds to me that the top cap wasn't fitted correctly or the drive bolt was loose for the rubbing to show on the side case. It won't cost the earth to replace all the parts from Restorations or AF then you know all is good.
10 inch Terror

I got the engine already built so it could perhaps have not been fitted correctly. I think the damage is done now. I'll replace it all with new and make sure it's fitted correctly.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Cheers Chris. While I'm on the subject would the same thing cause clutch slip symptoms when in the power band?

Yes, this is why Donnie has a thread on here about clutch slip, which turns out to be sprocket spin. Check out the thread.

Adam
10 inch Terror

Adam_Winstone wrote:Cheers Chris. While I'm on the subject would the same thing cause clutch slip symptoms when in the power band?

Yes, this is why Donnie has a thread on here about clutch slip, which turns out to be sprocket spin. Check out the thread.

Adam
Cheers Adam. I've a complete new drive assembly and sprocket on order from SR. I can only assume the engine builder used the cheapest parts available. Hopefully with some decent parts in it they'll last more than 400 miles..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information