Changing loom...

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I might have a go at doing this over the winter :roll: .I want to fit the new MB BGM one to my GP. If I tell you I know nothing about electrics you might understand the task that faces me... :oops: ......I'm thinking I can copy the one that's on at the moment. Does anyone have any diagrams I can see. What comes off apart from headset horncast and leg shields (never done this before)....? Any other help will be much appreciated.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Me and Colin have yet to find a scooter with wiring that matches the diagrams in stickys book so unless yours has not been messed about with over the years don't rely on the diagrams, even new looms come with odd colours,have a word with Colin.
Timbo

Cheers Dennis, tell him to check his messages more often.... :roll: ...... :lol:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

It's not as difficult as you might imagine Tim, removing and replacing the body parts, leggies and horncasting is the most difficult part. In theory you could just remove one wire from the original loom and replace it with one wire from the new loom until you've replaced them all. If you're using a bog standard AC circuit then a simpler AC like, ie Scootopia / Casa is a better option as the MB one has extra wires if you want to run variations of an AC system or DC system using BGM or Wasell regulators to power accessories such as phone charges, Sat Navs etc. Take the new loom out of the bag and add a piece of masking tape to each connection and write on it where it each one goes.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Headsets the most complicated bit, just make sure you take pictures of the wiring BEFORE you dis-assemble the existing loom. It's all pretty straightforward, but as Corrado says, you'll have fun with the bodywork so be patient
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

There's only 3 wires from the loom into the headset Steve, even Timbo can't get that wrong. No need to touch the ignition or light switch wiring.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

If the loom you have in at the moment is ok
Just leave it in, You will need to make up a couple of shorting links at the bottom or top, it's entirely up to you.
What loom is in it at the moment.
Train Driver

Pay someone to do it for you, they have the tools and the know how
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Timbo

Meds wrote:If the loom you have in at the moment is ok
Just leave it in, You will need to make up a couple of shorting links at the bottom or top, it's entirely up to you.
What loom is in it at the moment.

No idea sorry, guess it's been in 20 years or more. 79 GP200
Timbo

corrado wrote:It's not as difficult as you might imagine Tim, removing and replacing the body parts, leggies and horncasting is the most difficult part. In theory you could just remove one wire from the original loom and replace it with one wire from the new loom until you've replaced them all. If you're using a bog standard AC circuit then a simpler AC like, ie Scootopia / Casa is a better option as the MB one has extra wires if you want to run variations of an AC system or DC system using BGM or Wasell regulators to power accessories such as phone charges, Sat Navs etc. Take the new loom out of the bag and add a piece of masking tape to each connection and write on it where it each one goes.

Good advice thanks, I thought the BGM one had less wires and also did away with the terminal box at the back..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information