Flywheel with no timing marks

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Nic

I'm hoping someone can help: I bought a Lambretta electronic flywheel from TSR in Wales.

When it arrived the flywheel had no timing marks on it at all. I know you can use a piston stop to find TDC. But how do you set it up up relative to the pick-up box if the flywheel doesn't have any markings on it to align with the stator? Is it a case of continuous trial and error or is there a simpler way, apart from sending the flipping thing back? ;) . Thanks
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

You should never trust marks on flywheels and/or mag housings. As far as arrow on flywheel goes, you can put a line anywhere if there isn't one. Then find TDC, then find your firing point and make the mark that is right for your motor, then guess an initial rotation for the stator, then strobe and note your arrow and timing mark, then rotate the stator, repeat until sorted.

Yes, you will need a strobe but you would need one regardless as the 2 little marks on some flywheels and pickups can be miles out (never trust them)!

Adam
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Agreed. The timing marks if there are a very very rough guide. Find TDC. Scribe a permanent mark somewhere around about 12 o'clock on the flywheel and a mark on the housing. That is your new reference point that you will always use for Top Dead Centre (unless you change flywheel or con rod or mag housing !)
The only way to time accurately is with a strobe. It's easy and immensely satisfying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information