good dealer - bad dealer

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I'd just like to thank Gordon at Buckskin Leather Craft for saving my Euro Lambretta jaunt.

3 months ago I took my seat to Smart Rrrrrrs in York for a new covering with a gel pad insert. I explained there was no great rush but I did need it before the 22nd of June when I was travelling to Germany. A couple of weeks ago i made a courtesy phone call, checking everything was ok. Martin, the owner said there wasn't a problem and it would be ready the week before (this week). I phoned him yesterday and asked when I could pick it up. He said he hadn't started it and it wouldn't be done for the Euro. I explained I didn't have a seat for the scooter I was going to go to Germany on.........long pause and no apology, just said he was busy.

I collected the un-touched seat, shot round to Gordons, explained what had happened and he said he would do the same spec' with the gel-pad but would have to do it in leather as he didn't have any of the vinyl in that I wanted. I'm picking it up on Monday :D

Gordon did a Vespa seat for me a few years ago, in leather and at that time he only did leather and no vinyl. It was when I was at Smart Rrrrrs that he mentioned Gordon was now doing vinyl. If I had known I would have gone to him in the first place........hindsight and all that !!!

Can't praise Gordon enough and his work is top quality. Highly recommended. as for Smart Rrrrrs.....nice job if you're prepared to wait and forget about completion dates.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

First rule (as I've learned) never tell em there's no rush... you'll just get forgotten about as other stuff comes in. Second rule keep on em "like an Alabama tic" until it's done, don't feel your being a pain in the ass, at the end of the day it's your money and people like you keeping him in business. Glad it worked out for you in the end.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Scooterdude wrote:First rule (as I've learned) never tell em there's no rush... you'll just get forgotten about as other stuff comes in. Second rule keep on em "like an Alabama tic" until it's done, don't feel your being a pain in the ass, at the end of the day it's your money and people like you keeping him in business. Glad it worked out for you in the end.
Yep I've learned that lesson after a couple "no rush mate" jobs turned in to millstones around the neck.
Did you have to do that?
mick1

When I dropped the seat off he even fixed a sticker on it saying it must be ready for the 22nd. Even a phone call saying he couldn't do it would have been helpful.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Agree whatever your having done don't say there's no hurry......can you tell me what gel pad inset your using....
mick1

I think Gordon at Buckskin is using a gel pad from here www.danmedicasouth.co.uk

it was all a bit of a rush so I didn't get into too much detail.
a.j

I've just bought an old Enfield, taken it round to a local bike shop who's been established for many years & a mate of mine works there. I wanted it dyno'd & set up correctly. Also think the primary transmission chain needs attention. I since hear from someone that he took his old brit bike round there a couple of years ago & they farmed it out to someone else, who did things to it that didn't need doing & charged £600 for the pleasure.

Bike dealers and mechanics are on the whole a pretty dubious bunch. I've only had a couple of good experiences, one was Dan off here & the other Beedspeed.

The nearest scooter dealer/mechanic here has a bad rep.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information