No spark!!!!

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Scootermonkey

Hi guys, can someone help me on this one, driving me mad!
Scooter (Lambretta) came in for a repaint, was running ok. Engine out to do the paint but nothing done to it. Put it back in and no spark! All wiring correct, I've even left the second green to the ignition switch off. Good earth's from engine to frame, and cdi to frame. Tried two different cdi's, one brand new, one off a running scooter. All readings from red, white and green wires from state as they should be. Tried a brand new stator, ht lead, cap, the lot. Cracking me up now, got to be something staring me in the face. Any ideas? Thank
How hard can it be!
Lambretta, the finest scooter............IN THE WORLD!
Daggs

Assuming we're talking 12v conversion here? Alignment of pick-up and crossover magnets.....
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

maybe post a picture of the wiring so we check, or see, if anything's amiss.
Scootermonkey

Scooters still in build so only wired up to get it running. Green, red and white from the stator all connected to the cdi in the correct places. Cdi is earthed. Earth lead from mag housing to frame. If I hold the green wire from the stator near frame when kicking over there's a spark at that point, but once connected to the cdi, nothing. Cdi is off my scooter which was running. :|
How hard can it be!
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

CDI sounds incorrectly wired.
lambro

One of them early miscoloured stators where the red and yellow were swapped?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I'll be watching this thread with interest.I have a series 2 with similar symptoms,exept mine starts ok,it will run for an indeteminate ammount of time and then stop for no apparent reason.Sometimes it will start immedately and at other times I can kick for ages and it wont start.When its running ok it sometimes stops for a second or two as if its going on reserve and then it carries on.Sometimes it will run for a long time,other times it will stop after a short time,one example is last weekend it took me ages to start it,about half an hour,and all of a sudden it burst into life and I rode it all the way home from Scarborough (I live in Halifax )without missing a beat.I've changed everything,3 stator plates,3 CDI's,HT lead,plug cap,spark plug,new carb,new petrol pipe,new air filter and I've even put a completely different engine in the scooter,but still the symptoms persist.Its really getting me down now and I cant trust it anymore,it may get me 100 miles or it may get me 1 mile.Any help will be gratefully received
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

HxPaul
I would be looking for an intermittent fault on the kill switch circuit.
Scooter monkey
You need to test the stator green output and see if this is consistent
That way you can work out if the fault is in the stator or elsewhere.
Scootermonkey

I've done the test on all three wires from the stator, red, white and green, and all readings are consistent with what it says in Sticks book. Reading on the green is 448 ohms
How hard can it be!
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

I meant, check the stator is giving an output voltage when kicked over. An old fashioned moving coil meter is best as you sometimes can't see the voltage spike on hobby digital meters..
If the stator isn't giving a voltage pulse then the CDI unit can't work
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information