Running in boredom

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

Running in my RB, first couple of runs felt tighter than a tight thing. Running on 4% putoline and have got 150 miles so far. Have to say i was midly disapointed with it to start with, as it was very boggy throughout the range, seems to be loosening upa bit now and seems to be a bit of a power band developing in 2nd but 3rd dies out and 4th is like an overdrive. Havent given it the beans yet apart from a couple of short runs (well youv got to.. :D ) and there didnt seem to be much there?

Is this to be expected this early in..Never run in a scoot before so this is new to me

Sef
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

how much running in do those kits need ?
you must be halfway there ?
Norwich ring road is about 15 miles round, so I do a few laps of that to start with, lots of stop/ start, changing gears. yes it is a bit dull.
156 D

......if anyone knows how you feel ...i do...as with my "ringbreaker" GT200 i had six rebores to run in at 900mls each time ...let alone the amount of ring changes to do at 200mls a go.....what with no speed cameras or cops in many cars....they were on the beat then....i was flat out everywhere......In the end you have to brainwash yourself and say "i have a brand new engine ,look after it"......you have put it together with all the skills you have.....just imagine what is happening inside the motor as you drive it and you will forget all about the speed......then afterwards you will be rewarded with a good quiet performing bike......if you just nip up a bit it will go noisy and your respect will go and then you will be flat out and heading for another "loan!!".........it will be boggy, that shows it`s tight, just persevere and you will be well chuft that you succeeded........ :)
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
coaster

The RB is ceramic lined isn't it? Should only need a couple of hundred miles to bed in any new parts (Drive train, crank) the bore only needs a 100 or so (some would say none at all), but using a cheap mineral oil as synth will prevent the rings from bedding in. Switch to synthetic when th bedding in is finished.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

If a nicasil bore feels tight then it may be that you have hardly any ring gap!!!! 30 miles is a big run in period on a nicasil/ceramic bore, although if you've a new crank and mains don't beat it to death for a couple of hundred miles.
lifes a drag

take it easy for the first hour for a nicosil barrel
the main thing to do with 2 strokes is let them warm up
a lot of people just jump on then rag them from cold then blame the kit for siezing up
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

AF Rayspeeds spec sheet for the RB250 says for running in...

1st 100 miles. Stay below 45mph and vary RPM
Next 200 miles. Stay below 55mph and vary RPM
Next 200 miles. Stay below 65 and vary RPM

I ran my muggy 225 for a couple of hundred miles by riding round the city a lot for a few days.
I never ran my Muggy 186 in at all. Well maybe for one mile. No more. But I didn't thrash the arse off it for about 5 miles! :biggrin:
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
coaster

Bilko wrote:AF Rayspeeds spec sheet for the RB250 says for running in...

1st 100 miles. Stay below 45mph and vary RPM
Next 200 miles. Stay below 55mph and vary RPM
Next 200 miles. Stay below 65 and vary RPM
They seem to have all sorts of rules for running their kits which fly in the face of accepted practice including 4% oil mix if I've read correcly elsewhere, being cynical, it provides a lot of excuses when things go wrong :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information