fitting tyres to tubeless rims DIY

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
shocky

So as I like to be as self sufficient as I can be (have access to tyre machine at scooter red Cheltenham )its not always convenient to use others machines and also a p155 take if im doing them for others , what are peoples experiences either by hand :x homemade jig/holding tool or bought tool all hints and tips appreciated pm me in confidence if you wish
8-)
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've got one of these Steve http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/g ... b0792.html
Ideally it needs bolting to something to get leverage space. Mine is bolted to a 13 inch car wheel as the tyre fitter I use doesn't have a machine that clamps 10 inch wheels. The key to fitting them by hand is to get the fitted half of the tyre into the deepest part of the wheel well so that you need less pressure on the rim from the tyre lever.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Jim has one of those MB tools bolted to the bench.
Iirc abit of fairy liquid or proper tyre stuff is needed to get them on easy.
gaz_powell

I made one out of half a rim and some box section welded to it so it can be clamp into my bench wise.
Have nt tried it yet but should do soon......If the bloke in flip flops can do it I'm sure I can.......
joeswoonara
Main scooter: jet ts1

i warm mine up so they are a bit more flexible and also use one of M.B.s wheel holders and some proper tyre soap , dead easy :D
never squat down when wearing spurs !!
coaster

joeswoonara wrote:i warm mine up so they are a bit more flexible and also use one of M.B.s wheel holders and some proper tyre soap , dead easy :D
What sort of tyre have you fitted though? the ones with the lower load ratings can have relatively thin, supple side walls whereas the high load ones with 3 ply construction will be harder to get on.....I might have a go at this at the weekend, I managed to get a Sava Monsum onto a Zip rim, remove it and put it back on again without any form of jig but that was only 2 ply construction.
shocky

gaz_powell wrote:I made one out of half a rim and some box section welded to it so it can be clamp into my bench wise.
Have nt tried it yet but should do soon......If the bloke in flip flops can do it I'm sure I can.......
Hi gaz I was thinking along those lines my self and using the side with just the holes in and making som spacers that are threaded both ends and some T nuts for the top that just fit in the well of the rim
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
gaz_powell

Shocky that's exactly what I did.

As said haven't tried it yet but will get round to it shortly.
joeswoonara
Main scooter: jet ts1

coaster wrote:
joeswoonara wrote:i warm mine up so they are a bit more flexible and also use one of M.B.s wheel holders and some proper tyre soap , dead easy :D
What sort of tyre have you fitted though?
last ones i fitted were Conti Twists , i popped them in the oven !
never squat down when wearing spurs !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information