Rear brakes catching

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I'm at a loss with this one....mates px engined sportique, with SIP 10" to 8" conversion failed it's MOT on rear brakes not breaking evenly on the rolling road, MOT man thought it might be an ovalised rear hub. Cut a long story short.... ended up buying a new conversion kit from SIP, which included stud adaptor, shoes and hub, but this still didn't cure it, infact MOT man said it's now worse! I've checked the rear axle and that seems true. So, what else could be causing this?
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
gaz_powell

Do the shoes just not need adjusting to the hub.
Lift back end up and spin wheel you should get a feel if it's working correctly. Remove hub and inspect shoes to see if uneven contact then trim with a file any high spots out. Keep putting hub back on and spinning to check then off and trim if needed. It maybe a long job depending on quality of shoes and hub.
It's ni on standard practice on lambrettas
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

just be aware if you are filing brake shoes, of the asbestos content- if any.
Scootering since 1968.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I should add, the rear brakes have been working fine for 2 years, since the engine was put in the sportique and has only covered 500 miles and passed 2 mot's.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information