Vespa crack in casings

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
boxofbits

Ive got a spanish Vespa P200 had a full engine rebuild and run around on it all year – however I was not happy with the clutch ( 4 plate rubbish stuck a standard one back in which works spot on) so replaced it and I’ve noticed a hairline crack when I’ve gone to replace the clutch at 6 clock goes down about an inch from where the clutch cover goes and stops ( I would have expected if there was a crack to be near the cush drive nut but its not so god knows how its happened) . So does it really it need a strip down and the casing welding and putting back together again. Or can I use dura-fix jb weld – shames as it really smooth motor and pulls well. There no oil leaking or anything and it must have been like that a while-didn’t notice it in re build.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Are you sure the casing is cracked? Some casings have fine lines of metal dashed around in places which look like cracks but I think are just untidy casting marks. Hope your lucky!
boxofbits

Yep thought it was a casting mark at first but when I took the clutch cover off you can see it quite easily on the clean metal
ducksta

No leak = jb weld it
live life your a long time dead
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

For piece of mind i'd weld it. Vespa casings are notoriously weak and if the crack got any larger you could have a serious problem.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Bad luck. I'm in agreement with ducksta, jb weld would never be as strong as a weld but alot easier and with no risk of distortion. I think the right thing to do would be to drill a small hole where the crack ends just to stop it travelling further (you'd have to strip engine to bare casing) and then jb weld.....but if it were me I'd clean the casing as best I could with alcohol, jb weld and then keep an eye on it. (no need to strip engine with this option) If the crack reappears I'd get it welded. I've had great results with jb in the past in non stressed areas. Good luck with it.
joeythescooterboy

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est.
gaz_powell

Ive looked at this before and thought it worth a try

You can get 5 rods HTS2000 on ebay delivered for £12.00

Ive got some casings that require a bit of TLC so might give it a go

gaz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information