Vespa PX with SIP 2

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lambro

Hi,
Fitted an SIP pipe on a mates 2014 PX150, and upjetted.
Then it wouldn't ride more than a few 100 yards before dying, and refusing to pick up at all above tickover.
Changed air filter, jets, plug, even fuel tap for a fast flow to see if that eliminates what seems like fuel starvation :shock:
Nothing improved on it at all,
Then I stuck a standard non cat PX pipe on, and it now runs like a dream (not a fast wet one) but runs well.
Its as though the brand new SIP pipe is blocked or restricting gas flow to such an extent the scooter is unrideable.

Anyone else had any problems like this???

Shaun.
coaster

I had exactly that problem when fitting a slightly used SIP 2 to my son's PX which had a newly built LML5 port 150 reed valve engine fitted. It would start and tickover and even rev up on the stand but would die as if the ignition had been cut if I tried to go over about 20 mph. I fecked about with the carb fitting all new jets (and bigger) and atomiser with no effect. Bought a new Spaco replacement carb and still no better. In the end I tried a new plug and it cured it. I hadn't thought it would be the plug as it was also new but that's what it was. Scooter flies now (in an LML 150 manner) 8-)
lambro

I wish mine was the plug, but I tried 3 different ones to eliminate them :lol:
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Not done this, but you need to drill out the airfilter or use a P2 filter.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/alfiet ... b.jpg.html
lambro

Hi,
I did try a drilled filter but made no difference.
I ended up lending him a standard PX pipe, left the 105 and drilled filter on,
He has just completed a 300 mile trip last weekend with no issues at all.
If I put the SIP back on, with the same set up, I couldn't get up the car park.

Shaun.
ArmandTanzarian

I'd guess there must be something wrong with the pipe then. I've fitted them to a couple of different scoots and had no issues at all.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I have the scootering article where they compared all pipes (on a standard PX though) and they changed the 96 main to a 98 or 100 and the pilot jet from 45 to a 48.
lambro

Pipe back with dealer, and will not swap for a replacement due to damage caused when being loaded onto a recovery truck.
Small flatspot in tailpipe, not enough to restrict the gasses.
I didn't roadtest it after fitting, mate picked up in a van, when home he went and rode about half a mile and scooter cut out and refused to go above tickover.
Hence recovery.

Dealer emailed this morning and said he was too busy to trial fit on his own scooter and may try later in week, then emailed back a couple hours later and said he fited it, roadtested it, took it back off and boxed it back up.
Not believing that myself.
And blamed all problems on NOT having a 102 jet, his reckoning being that the 99 it wouldn't run with, and the 105 it wouldn't run with would all be cured with a 102.
Depsite the fact that with the 105 and a standard non-cat pipe the scooter covered over 300 miles to lands end and back last a week ago.

Dispute in with Ebay but we wait and see, he is sending pipe back as fit for purpose, even though it doesn't work on this scoot.
I have fitted a few of these and never had a problem.

Pissed off with dealer to say the least :!:

Hi customer, Further to our recent correspondence the exhaust has been received back from you. As previously agreed you were meeting the costs of sending back with a reimbursement of the cost being made should the product prove faulty. Firstly, the exhaust has been received by us in a dmaghed state. You have clarified that this was caused by your recovery service. Secondly, I advised that this exhaust be set up with a 102 main running jet. Your mechanic had set it up with a 105 main jet. Last but not least have just done a straight swap on my own scooter which runs on a chrome version of the same pipe on a 102 main jet. No other alterations made, simply a straight swap of exhaust pipes. My scooter runs absolutley fine with this pipe fityted. In fact the road test that I just carried out shows my scooter running better with this pipe fitted! My scooter is also a 150cc. Ultimately, I conclude by way of a road test that the exhaust is not faulty but has been fitted to your scooter using an incorrect jetting set up on the carburettor. I spoke with your mechanic Shane who confirmed the use of a 105 main running jet rather than the recommended 102 jet. The exhaust has been returned to us damaged and missing the mounting springs and bracket. We can not issue a refund on this item or the cost of return postage in either direction on the grounds listed above
Springs and bracket were in box, and we don't want a refund, we want a replacement ideally :roll:

Shaun.
lambro

Update,
Dealer maintains that the fact I didn't fit a 102 (99) original, and drill the filter with his exhaust was all the cause of the problems.

Just fitted a mates SIP 2 on the said scooter, bolted on with my 105 and drilled filter, 4 miles so far and spot on.
Lost all faith in dealers back up sales service, will see how Ebay handle the dispute.
coaster

For less than £10 you can buy a useful endoscope on ebay. I have one which plugs into a laptop and has it's own built in led lighting. These are ideal for looking inside exhausts, cylinders etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Waterproo ... 2edf84d592
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information