Paint Dilema

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Wulfy66
Main scooter: Looking for first scoot

Have just finished stripping my first project, a 1966 Li 125 Special and the engine has gone off to Scotopia for a full restoration rebuild. I'm now having second thoughts about the paint scheme, we planned to go red/white or blue/white something like these

But I'm now also torn with the idea of going back to how it left the factory

Daggs

That is either a bad photo or more likely the wrong blue. LiS 125's were a metallic blue. Though about 400 came in all white, at the end of the run.

P.S. I was the first owner to ride the SX in the picture, on the road. It sold on eBay recently. Advertised for £8500. Rather more than I sold it for eight years ago :cry:
Wulfy66

Daggs wrote:That is either a bad photo or more likely the wrong blue. LiS 125's were a metallic blue. Though about 400 came in all white, at the end of the run.

P.S. I was the first owner to ride the SX in the picture, on the road. It sold on eBay recently. Advertised for £8500. Rather more than I sold it for eight years ago :cry:
Yes I think it's actually both a bad photo and wrong blue :) I believe the correct colour is Azzurro Nuovo
When I dropped the engine off at Scootopia yesterday they showed me one in the owners collection that was original in that colour.
Daggs

I believe the Lechler code for the blue is 8061.
Wulfy66

This is more like it

Wulfy66

Just noticed the side panels on the one above are different from mine. The ones on mine are like the ones on the photo in the wrong blue.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

You may need to consider the type of paint and the finish. I had my silver repainted in the original colour, but didn't think about the paint type or finish. It looks great, but the finish doesn't look original, too shiny.
Wulfy66

Meds wrote:You may need to consider the type of paint and the finish. I had my silver repainted in the original colour, but didn't think about the paint type or finish. It looks great, but the finish doesn't look original, too shiny.

Yes I didn't think about that, i suppose if I go down the original route then the finish really needs to be right, may be another reason to go with the original plan of a custom job......oh I really am indecisive now lol
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

My opinion only.
I tried to restore the silve special to original & nearly managed it.
It still looks fantastic, the colour is right for the bike etc etc. but it doesn't look original. I severely limited myself trying to recreate a factory spec look.
My blue 125 special is still in original paint. When I get round to doing something with it, I will do it entirely to my spec.
I will probably keep to period colours, BMC/lambretta etc, cellulose replacement paint. But it's a riding bike so I'm not going to try the original look as the hydraulic disk/exhaust/seat and various other mods will spoil it.
A good painter will be able to help get the colour and finish right, I'm sure someone on here will be able to recommend one.
Choose what you want and do it for you.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

my opinion is that it's your bike and you can do what the hell you like to it. It's nice to do a full factory restoration. Some like way out custom jobs (I don't but that's not the point). Some like the Christmas tree look (lights and mirrors). Cutdowns, street racers balh blah.

I recently 'restored' my li125 so that it is now an sx185 in a colour that was never available on lambrettas, but I like it. My next one will be along the same lines just because I'm not that bothered about complete originality. I just like them to look 'standard' even if they're not.

Just do whatever makes you happy - by the way, I like that 125 special metallic blue but the one in your pictures has the wrong sidepanels on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information