Anyone know this one and is it too good to be true?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
ABC123
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2 LI

I had a similar response a while back to a different bike that was for sale

Hello, I still have the scooter for sale, the condition is excellent and it has no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments . If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £2670 delivered at my costs.The deal will go through eBay and PayPal. Thank you

had a bit of fun with them before getting bored
Wulfy66
Main scooter: Looking for first scoot

ABC123 wrote:I had a similar response a while back to a different bike that was for sale

Hello, I still have the scooter for sale, the condition is excellent and it has no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments . If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £2670 delivered at my costs.The deal will go through eBay and PayPal. Thank you

had a bit of fun with them before getting bored
Sounds like the same person;

1st email;

Hello, I still have the scooter for sale, the condition is excellent and it has no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments . If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £2390 delivered at my costs.The deal will go through eBay and PayPal. Thank you

2nd email;

Hello, the scooter is in Nairn, Scotland with me, The best way to complete this transaction is to use PayPal & eBay. They will handle everything for both of us, including transportation and the transfer of the scooter papers to your name. You don't have to pay anything extra, the total price that you must pay for this scooter is £2,390, including delivery.

Here is how the transaction will go on:
-I will make a private eBay listing for you.
-You will have to click "buy it now", fill in the forms and follow the instructions.
-eBay will send you an invoice with all the transaction details and the payment instructions.
-You will have to secure the funds to PayPal&eBay.
-After the funds will be secured to PayPal&eBay, the delivery will begin and the scooter will arrive to you in max. 48 hours.
-When the scooter will be in your custody, you will have a 7 days inspection period. If everything is alright, the transaction ends and PayPal will release the money to me. If there is something wrong with the scooter, you will be fully refunded and I'll get my scooter back too, without any extra fees.
Everything is covered by PayPal & eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it.
I would need your ebay username so I can send you the link. I'm waiting for your reply.
Thank you.

Alarm bells always start to ring when a seller does not even give their name at the end of an email. Think I have had a lucky escape
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

last December I encountered who may well be the same person. The scooter was awful in the photo (covered in bathroom bits), but it was a tv and cheap. here's the email trail.

me: Is the lambretta still for sale?

him: yes

me: I have been trying to call you. If the frame and engine numbers you sent me match the documents and the scooter then I will pay asking price. Can you send me pictures please?

him: Currently I'm in Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton / Somerset and the scooter is here with me.

Please confirm if you want to buy the scooter, because we have other interested customers.

If you want, buy scooter, will prepare the necessary documentation, the contract of sale, contract of guarantee.

Please read carefully my proposal because i am sure that you'll find it a safe and fast way to close the deal.

I can't take the risk to leave the base for couple hours and when I arrive out of base to find that I came for nothing. I want to be 100% sure that when we'll meet, it might be a chance that we'll do the sell papers to register the scooter to your name and I return to base. Also because a buyer told me that he'll buy the scooter, I come out of base because I trusted his word, but when I arrived I called him and no answer.

So to come out of base you will have to show me a proof of there seriousness in the scooter, well this is what you will have to do for me before i can come down for the viewing, I will not ask you any money in advance (The transaction will be made face to face ), i just want to see that you are a serious buyer.

You must find the nearest Western Union agency and you go to Western Union and you send money 999 GBP to any name you want but in my direction Yeovilton, Somerset, Example "The Name of the issuer ... your name. "The Name of the receiver .... The name of your Brother's Name, The Name of Friend. Only you and the receiver can have access at the money because you are the sender and the receiver will be your brother's or your best friend and send me the scanned receipt attach to email.

As soon as I see the scanned receipt as a proof that you've made the payment, I will come out of base and we will finish the deal. I assure you that you will love this scooter and you will buy it. It is in perfect conditions. I also accept any test.
I have plenty customers interested to buy the scooter. I will come for the first one that provides me the scanned paper from Western Union. As soon as I have the confirmation from Western Union that the money are available. I'll cancel the transaction with the others.

I wait for your reply.

Thank you!

me:Sounds great for me. When can I meet with you? By the way, which country are you from? We get guys from all over the world in that base.

Thanks

Richie

him:CZECH REPUBLIC

As soon as I see the scanned receipt as a proof, you can come same day and pick up the scooter.

me:i dont have all the money available right now, so would 500gbp be enough and i will make love to you from behind for the rest.

i have heard that guys from the czech republic really like this.

kisses and hugs

he never got back to me, but here's a picture of it anyway.

Wulfy66

I reported the ad to Trade-It who have just replied confirming it was a scam and have removed the listing.
Grooveywordbender

Get the address...I live 20 miles outside Nairn, happy to give it the once over.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

He won't be there, that's a cert...
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Whilst I was looking there was a TON of ads on that site which were bogus - I'd stay clear of the whole thing as they clearly don't have much of a screening process for scams like these.
There's a facebook page which echoes items for sale and they tend to be at least sussed as being legit. https://www.facebook.com/LambrettaScoot ... le?fref=ts
Wulfy66

This one looks suspiciously like a scam too

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1111497920

Maybe I'm just becoming paranoid now :(
Wulfy66

Well no, I'm not being paranoid the above is also a scam, here is the reply from the above seller (ad listed in South Wales)

Hello,
I still have the bike for sale and its condition is excellent. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £1800 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
Thank you
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

yeah Gumtree does appear to be "Scam City USA" at times............. :shock:

steer well clear and don't commit before seeing the scooter in the flesh with a mate as well. If you want to chat about any possible scooters give me a shout-I'm local. PM me for my mobile

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information