Anyone know this one and is it too good to be true?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Wulfy66 wrote:Well no, I'm not being paranoid the above is also a scam, here is the reply from the above seller (ad listed in South Wales)

Hello,
I still have the bike for sale and its condition is excellent. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £1800 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
Thank you
if the deal will go through eBay then why isn't it ON eBay?

Had *exactly* the same contact with this tool on a couple of dead ends. He goes on to say that the scoot is in some secure compound or yet to be released by customs. Essentially he wants your money before you even see the scoot. There aren't any massive bargains. If you see a reasonably priced one jump in, but daft prices are just that. It's tempting as you don't want to miss out on a genuine bargain, but try to resist (it's hard, I know I've just been through this process!) Simply put, if you cant see the scoot and documents at the sellers house, for whatever reasons, then walk away. Gumtree is almost as bad as trade-IT. You'll probably see the same scooter ad in different locations of the UK.

I know internet selling makes things easier, but unless the seller is "normal" i.e. the bike is with the seller at their home and crucially, you know where this address is, then the ad is almost certainly bogus (especially on a free-ad site).... A simple landline number I would say suffices in 90% of cases. Marry this with an address then do a quick lookup in the phonebook online to match (folk are now ex-directory so this isn't foolproof). Google streetview can also help you (e.g. if the "address" is a lockup on an industrial park!).

Andy

PS as above, talk to Chris, he was an absolute godsend to me on my scooter odyssey. Top man! :)
Wulfy66
Main scooter: Looking for first scoot

britcay wrote:
Wulfy66 wrote:Well no, I'm not being paranoid the above is also a scam, here is the reply from the above seller (ad listed in South Wales)

Hello,
I still have the bike for sale and its condition is excellent. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £1800 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
Thank you
if the deal will go through eBay then why isn't it ON eBay?

Had *exactly* the same contact with this tool on a couple of dead ends. He goes on to say that the scoot is in some secure compound or yet to be released by customs. Essentially he wants your money before you even see the scoot. There aren't any massive bargains. If you see a reasonably priced one jump in, but daft prices are just that. It's tempting as you don't want to miss out on a genuine bargain, but try to resist (it's hard, I know I've just been through this process!) Simply put, if you cant see the scoot and documents at the sellers house, for whatever reasons, then walk away. Gumtree is almost as bad as trade-IT. You'll probably see the same scooter ad in different locations of the UK.

I know internet selling makes things easier, but unless the seller is "normal" i.e. the bike is with the seller at their home and crucially, you know where this address is, then the ad is almost certainly bogus (especially on a free-ad site).... A simple landline number I would say suffices in 90% of cases. Marry this with an address then do a quick lookup in the phonebook online to match (folk are now ex-directory so this isn't foolproof). Google streetview can also help you (e.g. if the "address" is a lockup on an industrial park!).

Andy

PS as above, talk to Chris, he was an absolute godsend to me on my scooter odyssey. Top man! :)
Many thanks Andy, what did you end up getting? I have now put a deposit on the green one and setting a target of 12 months to get it sorted.
Am sure I will be pestering Chris for help and advice :)

Andy
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

be my guest Andy- on hols for a couple of weeks soon, but feel free to call. PM me your mobile etc

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

You're welcome Andy. 1966 was clearly a good year for Andys ;)
My Li150 is here http://www.scooterotica.org/viewtopic.php?t=34890

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wulfy66
Main scooter: Looking for first scoot

Seems to have reared its head again!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172174606680
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information