First scoot (Lambretta) which model is best for a newb?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Thanks for your help fellas it's much appreciated

I take your point re the test I want this sorted asap (bit expensive these days getting an A2). I may go the 125 route and at least I can ride whilst learning (rather that just on a hire bike, although this means I would have an A1 licence).

I've looked at a couple and have exercised restraint so far... Trouble is, they're all so ruddy far away!

Am I right in assuming just because a bike is "registered as a 125" it's not actually learner legal?

thanks again - Chris (Bristolmod) I will indeed PM you, cheers!

I'd been leaning towards this, but it's in Yorkshire which is too far for me to get to at the mo

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Andy
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

[quote=

Am I right in assuming just because a bike is "registered as a 125" it's not actually learner legal?

Andy[/quote]

Correct!
Bookertmgs1
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Think you also need to establish what constitutes a budget - is it roughly 3k to have a scooter ready to jump on or 3k then be prepared to spend some more for parts / upgrades etc etc.

The 125 Special is a nice bike, the panels were in brilliant original condition - but in reality its going to need another £55 to get it registered plus an Mot. Given that its not running I'd be thinking that its going to need at least another £100 spending join it by the time you've redone the cables, probably a clutch, changed the oil etc etc

Its probably unfounded - but I never get my head around when a scooter dealer - says "not had running". I always think "why not?" I can't be because you don't know what to do. A running scooter is always more attractive to a buyer than one not. Its apparently got good compression - so by logic all you then need is a spark and fuel.

Not sure what the bike you posted is or how much - and as such its difficult to asses.

There are always bikes for sale - be patient and one will come along that suits you.

I'm like a broken record - pass your test. Yes its expensive - but you are talking about spending 3k on a 50 year old shopping bike. You can pass your test inside 4 days if you throw money at it - or save £200 or so and spread it over a few weeks
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

BookerT you probably share my thoughts on "just needs a good clean" too. :mrgreen:
britcay

Found my scoot!

Li 150 slightly older resto. Italian imported in 2002

Picked up tonight (fits perfectly in the back of a VW California :) )

It's in really lovely condition throughout. Is running well, but I will need to get her thru an MOT. I am chuffed to bits (famous last words I know!) it was also cheaper than the "not running" Li Special back up there (which I was tempted!)

Thanks for all your advice and especially to Chris (Bristolmod) for all his help & patience. Top bloke!

Andy
Bookertmgs1

Andy - that looks a belter and is ideal. Well done

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Buy a copy of Stickys manual so you know how it works now
Bookertmgs1

corrado wrote:BookerT you probably share my thoughts on "just needs a good clean" too. :mrgreen:
Indeed - lot to be said from taking note of whats not said, rather than the actual words in the description !
britcay

Yep, got my head in that book :) I never realised how good a Lambretta smells! Looking forward to getting stuck in now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
britcay

I also avoided the not running but... "has good compression" / "all hard work done" / "just get engine running & use as is" types for exactly those reasons. Thanks Mr Booker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warts
Main scooter: honda

Congratulations, that's a nice looking scooter.
Now I'd go get the licence. It'll never be easier/cheaper than it is now, and it opens up all sorts of possibilities.
Cheaper insurance is a likely one especially if you take a booster course, so it could eventually pay for itself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information