First scoot (Lambretta) which model is best for a newb?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
shocky

gnash.. wrote:and it was a scooter accident?......
what modifications didn't he declare?
No it wasnt a scooter accident I was pointing out that insurance companys will make you liable if you have assets they can sieze be that your house your wages your pension all of which the can place a charge or caution against it with houses its lodged with the land registry and is triggered at certain points that have been agreed I know becouse I have a caution placed on a property that im owed a debt on ;)
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
double h
Main scooter: SIL GP 200

If you are hands on and mechanically minded go for a Lammy, good looking scoots with sex appeal but high maintenance. If not go for Vespa, a good looking fat scoot without the hassles. ;)
Bookertmgs1
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

I was in a similar situation to you. My advice to you would be to pass your test as soon as you can.
It removes all the debates about what you can ride. Any scooter isn't much of a help when passing your test - you will need to use a modern motorcycle.
I bought an LI125 and quickly sold it - the lack of top speed was incredibly frustrating. Be aware that an LI 125 has an upper price limit. It doesn't matter what you spend on it - no one is paying £4k for one.
Pass your test - get the best bike you can preferably one that has been restored a few years ago and away you go. You will soon accumulate some knowledge. Be patient - there lots of bargains on Facebook and eBay just have to be quick when they turn up. Make sure you take someone who knows what they are talking about and what to look for
Insurance - best advice I can give. Be honest and truthful at all times. Never worth the s**t that comes when you need a payout and they Umm and Ahhh
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Bookertmgs1 wrote:I was in a similar situation to you. My advice to you would be to pass your test as soon as you can.
It removes all the debates about what you can ride. Any scooter isn't much of a help when passing your test - you will need to use a modern motorcycle.
I bought an LI125 and quickly sold it - the lack of top speed was incredibly frustrating. Be aware that an LI 125 has an upper price limit. It doesn't matter what you spend on it - no one is paying £4k for one.
Pass your test - get the best bike you can preferably one that has been restored a few years ago and away you go. You will soon accumulate some knowledge. Be patient - there lots of bargains on Facebook and eBay just have to be quick when they turn up. Make sure you take someone who knows what they are talking about and what to look for
Insurance - best advice I can give. Be honest and truthful at all times. Never worth the s**t that comes when you need a payout and they Umm and Ahhh
Hey bud, I'd definitely recommend you buy a scooter which is already done and on the road.....from a cost perspective that is. Although you'll struggle to find a genuine 125cc as most have been upgraded already. I'm not saying they are not available, just not do many about. Still, you can easily pop a 125cc top end on anything you buy to keep you legal.

As for your test....as pointed out, let ads of people ride round with kits on, but that doesn't make it right. Best thing you can do is pass your test ASAP and there is no dramas either way.

As for the future, once you dip your toe in the water and learn a few mechanical basics, you may want to take on a project of your own...,..but beware the costs! Lol. They can easily escalate if you don't plan your build and buy carefully. See here for various costing possibilities: http://www.scooterotica.org/viewtopic.php?t=30003

:)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Thanks for that. Spent a little while at Ryde Scooters on the Isle of Wight (here on holiday at the moment!) and the chap in there was a top bloke. Spent a good while with me, even though he knew I'm a distance from him & unlikely to be able to buy from him. Some lovely machines in there and also talked me through my options.

I've seen a really nice 150 that's come up at the right price, but might be a bit early. Either way I'm going to get my test sorted as soon as I'm back as a priority. That way (as you both say) I'm keeping my options open. Even though I'm unlikely to go any great distance, things change eh?

I definitely want to be able to tinker around, that's all part of the attraction. I've had a Split screen bus, a couple of beetles and I love the mechanical simplicity of older vehicles (I'm selling my Mk1 Golf as it's not really like that) My garage space is limited, for a car, but will be big for a scoot.

Can't wait to get stuck in now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bookertmgs1

No idea of your budget but there is a TV175 for sale on Facebook registered and running for 3k

That's a bargain at today's prices. If I was looking or had the spare cash I'd snap his hand off. Think the page is Lambretta parts and spares
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

That's top of my budget but it does look very nice - odd that someone hasn't snapped it up if it is such good value tho?
Bookertmgs1

Gone now I think.

Probably needed a couple of bob spending on it but at that price what ever you spent you'd get back.
Maybe a bit soon anyway - get your test sorted. if you can wait until the autumn prices tend to dip then and around christmas
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Nice one here that's worth a look & it's within your £3k budget...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lambretta-li1 ... 1917538040
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Now that's perfect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information