Vespa T5 Mk. 1

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

If you were going to view an original condition one, with a view to buying and keeping original, what would you definitely check. Under the floormats. What else please?
gaz_powell

as with any vespa the whole of the frame - don't forget the extended back is a piece welded over the original px frame - check underneath

lots of mark 1`s were abused workhorses

engine wise - anything can be replaced but hopefully its okay - test ride it

check that the rev counter works - these are problematic once they have failed (is it analogue or digital type) - repairs are not easy (if even possible) then its a new speedo - a working rev counter is nice but its not really critical on 125 !

What exhaust ? you cant buy genuine replacements anymore (only sito plus or sip road in the box form) - although you might be lucky and find a NOS.

good luck ..... another vespa to the collection !!
storkfoot

It's digital. I know it's unlikely to work, Gaz :-). It's an Italian import that doesn't look messed with. There is no exhaust but that is the only thing missing. A couple of lights are broken etc.

There's lad at work who has a m/bike but used to have a T5 until it was totalled in a crash over 10 years ago. I have spent abou 5 years nagging him to get another T5. He is now looking.

That said, I am very tempted to flog my Series 2 and get this one if it is as straight as it looks in pics
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Bloody hell mate , you're turning to the better side!! lol
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

On a T5 engine the exhaust bolts to the barrel. That's the first thing I'd check.
storkfoot

bazman wrote:Bloody hell mate , you're turning to the better side!! lol
I wouldn't say better, just different :P

This was my old T5 Classic. I bought it in 2003, I think. It had a genuine 4815 miles on the clock (I can still remember the mileage after all these years). I, stupidly, sold it little more than a year later.

I always said that, one day, I'll get another standard, largely untouched one. Such a great engine IMO.

pauld, Is your point that being an alloy barrel, an over zealous mechanic might have stripped the threads in the barrel?
carlosfandangles

As an owner of a mk1 I would say check under mats and round where the rear is especially where side panels hooks in. That is where they famously rot. Wouldn't worry about the exhaust but do be careful of someone claiming what it is or isn't. Seen too many recently claiming to be original when year is wrong speedos swapped autolube when it shouldn't be etc

PS my digital speedo still works lol
Juan

I'd pay particular attention to the rear top shock mount area and the tacked on chassis section or specifically what's hiding underneath it. Also the area behind the front wheel and under the spoiler.

Always liked the yellow Classics and the very rare light metallic green ones.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

storkfoot wrote:
bazman wrote:Bloody hell mate , you're turning to the better side!! lol
I wouldn't say better, just different :P

This was my old T5 Classic. I bought it in 2003, I think. It had a genuine 4815 miles on the clock (I can still remember the mileage after all these years). I, stupidly, sold it little more than a year later.

I always said that, one day, I'll get another standard, largely untouched one. Such a great engine IMO.

pauld, Is your point that being an alloy barrel, an over zealous mechanic might have stripped the threads in the barrel?
I've stripped alot of the threads on a T5 at various times but never the exhaust ones...well not yet! I mentioned the way the exhaust fits because it's a good way to check if it's a T5 engine fitted to your scooter. Almost all other vespa engines have a slipjoint exhaust fitting, no barrel studs. There's a few models that use a T5 style frame (Tx, GS, and I think excel) but they're not fitted with the T5 engine. You mentioned that the scooter is an italian import. If it's a genuine italian bike then more than likely it's a T5 but if it's an import from anywhere else I'd bet it's one of the T5 like models I've listed above. Best of luck with the purchase! If it's half as clean as the yellow classic you owned your onto a winner.
storkfoot

Thanks. Yes I am with you. I have stripped a thread in an alloy barrel before but it is a straightforward fix with a stepped stud.

Anyway, thanks for all the pointers. It might not come off yet but I am well aware of where to prod and poke
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information