Piston crown crumbling away...?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Yanker

wack 63 wrote:I'd say an air leak on the head probably caused this as the piston has detonation damage. Also check your exhaust is clear .
Seconded :)
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Yep,deffo detonation damage.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

the outer ring on the piston at the top half shows that the transfere mix is not coming into the barrel correct , therefore i stick to the idea that the piston is not set correctly at bdc due to incorrect exhaust port position , your picture shows that the bottom of the exhaust port does not sit level with the transfers at btc , is that correct or just the photo? it looks a lot higher.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
dave411

Problem is,too many theories.Just buy a new one,fit it correctly,jobs a good un
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

dave411 wrote:Problem is,too many theories.Just buy a new one,fit it correctly,jobs a good un
I agree with to many theory. This puts me of forums a bit as you get what I consider to be excellent advice but it's all different and it leaves me just confused
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

dave411 wrote:Problem is,too many theories.Just buy a new one,fit it correctly,jobs a good un
what if he has already paid to have this one fitted correctly? At least by coming on this forum and showing us these types of problems will help in some way to understand how it can be avoided next time.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
dave411

But it hasnt,to many differing answers.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

box pipe?
C’est la vie
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

I would agree that when you look closely at two stroke piston damage that it's not always clear what caused it, and in a chinese parliament that is a forum you'll get many different answers. Partly through hearsay, partly through personal experience. History is MASSIVELY important in tracking down a running problem. Your piston has overheated close to/ at TDC. Identified by where the plating / aluminium underneath the plating has become unstable due to heat. The damage on the crown of the piston is due to heat away from the edge of the piston, spreading across to where it can exit, the exhaust port. Either with a piston crown matching the bottom of the exhaust port or slightly above wouldn't cause, with an historically well running engine, this type of damage, as if it was there would be damage/ overheating below the exhaust port. Your picture would suggest that the exhaust port bottom edge is ABOVE the bottom edge of the transfers, therefore I cannot see that as the issue. There is no discernible ring damage, nor marks on the piston or cylinder to suggest any, let alone excessive piston slap/ rock. The piston also has not had time from the introduction of the excessive heat, to expand the piston to create more damage to it, i.e. there are no significant seizure evidence on the side of the piston below the damage. Historically (you tell us) it's well set up and has done some hard graft (track days). It isn't Compression ratio (dished crown, bigger build up of heat in the piston over the whole time the engine has ever run). It isn't jetting (would have happened sooner), it isn,t timing (ditto jetting), it isn't exhaust (would have happened on a motoway/ long fast run [back straight of track]), it isn't lubrication (piston has not seized). This is caused by HEAT. It's the two stroke/ air cooled enemy. What's left to create heat? Do you know your previous afr readings per throttle position? Since filling up, was the last 15 miles on the motorway, or the first 15 miles?. What was your throttle position at when it happened? The irregularity that caused this was instant, by the nature of the damage surrounding the failure. Instant air leak (carb falling off/ split rubber, possibly head gasket [but would expect seizure/ holed piston first]. A slightly weaker area of carburation range (throttle position) combined with ethanol rich fuel Will cause this. Especially if, historically it's a sound engine. If you were OFF full throttle when it happened, that's where my money is. Yes, I'm aware you are in Belguim. I have two examples of exactly the same damage of otherwise historically perfect engines.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

One lesson to be learnt: After a problem like this it should have been leak tested before strip down, would have stopped a lot of guessing and surmising. I leak tested my Avanti when I lost compression, a leak test before strip down showed a leak from a damaged casing, saved a lot of time and doubt.

Hindsight eh !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information