RUST!

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
ArmandTanzarian

Hello all,

I've just bought a five year old GTS300. The plan (at the moment) is to ride it to VWD in Croatia next month.

Mechanically its perfect with a full service history. I got it for a very good price because the underneath is pretty nasty. The steel is still sound but the paint has long gone and there's one very small hole.

I've attacked it with a wire brush on an electric drill and I'm going to paint it with a Phosphoric acid based treatment once I've removed as much as I can.

Has anyone got any recommendations of what to paint over it after that? I appreciate that ideally it wants stripping and blasting but this is just a quick fixer upper to get me to Croatia and back and then through an MOT or two.

Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

I'd use Tetrasyl Stonechip paint.... its anti rust and work chip or flake...
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

Get it wet blasted and then paint it with Hammerite stone chip. . Surface prep is the key. Don't bodge it otherwise you'll only have to wet blast it again.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

5 litres of unleaded and a match would suffice.... :shock:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I don't know anything about Vespas at all- is that a box section thats rusted?

If so I fear you may be wasting your time unless you can treat the insides of the box as well.

TBH thats shocking in a vehicle of just 5 years old in this day and age- it would appear that there is no rustproofing at all! I've had 50 year old Lambrettas in original paint which are far far better than that.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I would start with 'Krust' as it converts the surface rust back to useable metal. I don't know the technical side of this process, but it does work. Then use whatever paint finish you want. I would also finished it off with a good dose of ACF50.
ArmandTanzarian

The previous owner had it serviced regularly but never washed it. As it was his daily transport it accumulated 5 winters worth of salt and other road crud. That said. the rustproofing on modern Vespas is more or less non-existant. I think its a proud Italian tradition that peaked with 1970s Lancias.

It is a box section, my plan is to deal with the outside and then drench the insides in ACF50. This isn't a long term purchase. It has to get me to Croatia and back and that's about it. I'll probably sell it for what I paid for it and someone will get a mechanically sound but somewhat scabby scoot with more rust protection than it came with when it left the factory.
ArmandTanzarian

The previous owner had it serviced regularly but never washed it. As it was his daily transport it accumulated 5 winters worth of salt and other road crud. That said. the rustproofing on modern Vespas is more or less non-existant. I think its a proud Italian tradition that peaked with 1970s Lancias.

It is a box section, my plan is to deal with the outside and then drench the insides in ACF50. This isn't a long term purchase. It has to get me to Croatia and back and that's about it. I'll probably sell it for what I paid for it and someone will get a mechanically sound but somewhat scabby scoot with more rust protection than it came with when it left the factory.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

psychedelicropcircle wrote:5 litres of unleaded and a match would suffice.... :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
shocky

Thats not unique to the gts range piaggio have long been stingy with paint my last 5 year px looked like that the mudguard bubbled along the seam and the lower headset was riddled with scabs of paint that in a breeze would float away I treated my gts when I had it (11 months old at the time) inside with waxoil and underneath with that horrible black tetroyseal stuff 6 years on no rust to talk of
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information