Long-Term Restoration Project

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I have recently got back into scootering and I am really keen to build / restore a series 3 myself. I am not particularly mechanically minded but most of what I have read seems to consider patience and the right tools to be more impotant as there isn't much (mechanically) to a standard Lambretta. I have had a good look through Sticky's guide and will obviously use that throughout the project. My dilema is whether to buy a "barn find" so it is pretty much complete which also means splashing out at least £1000 straight up, or get hold of a frame and loop. I would prefer to spread that cost so buying parts individually would be a better option. I am thinking of using fibreglass panels. For the purists, remember this is for me and not built for profit or cudos.
Can anyone suggest a reliable source and approx price for a frame and loop? Not seen many but there is one on ebay £375
Does the crank case and chain case have to be matched? Or could I buy these seperately and pair them up? Obviously I would need to buy all engine components seperately.
Probably sounds a bit hair brain but I have a real desire to do this :o .
I have taken into consideration the additional costs of blasting, any straightening, any welding, and painting (which I may do myself)
Any advice????

There is an ebay seller (Lambrettaraver) listing several engines average price £250. Would it be more difficult to strip and rebuild a seized engine? I am just thinking that I may be able to salvage some of the original parts????
Argentopercarter

Restorations can be a money pit!

I would suggest that you bite the bullet and buy a complete Series 3 from a reputable source with the best condition bodywork you can get. If it is not already UK registered then it is ESSENTIAL that you get one that has been registered under the 'NOVA' scheme otherwise you will have a job getting it UK registered. That applies whether it comes from within the EU or outside and whether it is a 'complete' scooter or just a frame.

If I were in your position I would buy from a reputable dealer, there are lots around good, bad and indifferent. Remember, you are going to invest a tidy sum buying and restoring, even doing a rusteration. I suggest that you inspect before you buy and if you see one that takes your eye ask around, on here or perhaps contact your local club.

Look for an Italian bike, there are still Li125's around that have not had too hard a life and you can always fit a kit to make it a little more useable.

As to parts, buy the best quality that you can afford and still expect to do some fettling!
Daggs

Buying a frame and various bits is a false economy. Buy a complete resto project scooter. lambretta raver, lambretta Sam or Buzzsolomoto all come to mind.
YAMLAM

id second what Daggs has said, buying all the little missing parts soon adds up, and buying in stages racks up the postage as well. at least with a resto project most parts are there.
Think the Guys on here (scooterotica) may well have some resto`s in or due in.
win or lose have a booze
shocky

Try facebook theres a nice spanish special on there bargain price of 1400 cou.d easily use as is for that shabby look
or loo, up your local club
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Bookertmgs1
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Lambretta Finder - seems to have a Decent supply of scooters needing restoration

I'd recommend buying a complete bike or as near to being complete as you can - starting from scratch will be difficult unless you know exactly what is required and where it fits
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Buy complete and the best you can, least it should all be a good fit on the bodywork bits.
Are you planning on painting or just a strip,clean and rebuild?
Engine wise depends what you want, if its a strip, clean, new seals/gaskets/bearings or a tuned up one. If a tuned up id say buy bare casings if you find an engine free bike. Plan what you want from it, research setups and buy the best quality you can
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

I have several customers doing similar to your desire and are in the process at various different stages spanning several years. When I talk to many it is the desire to do 98% themselves. I encourage everyone to do it, and with patience outstanding results can be achieved. Any advice, in your situation, should be welcomed and absorbed, but you will have a good idea in you head of what you're going to do already (ser 3), and your question is looking for answers to reinforce that what you think you're going to do is right. When my customers ask me, I always give them the same advice.
1) Will you be looking to build an original, or upgraded/ tuned engine?
2) From a frame up build or a bought in, ready to ride scoot?
3)An Li125 will cost nigh on the same as an SX200 to rebuild, but initial outlay will be higher for your base, but you may struggle to recoup the outlay of restoration on an Li125 but not on the SX200.
4) Whatever your budget, allow double the cost, and the time.
5) A std Li125 engine cost nigh on the same as a std SX200 engine to build and if it's a tuned engine your going for they will be the same engine so the same cost. So engine cost should be a secondary, allocated but inclusive budget.
6) If at all possible, set your sights on a Uk registered scoot. If it's an import with a NOVA, then think about doing the minimum, with parts you'll use on the final scoot, to get it MOT'd and registered BEFORE doing the full restoration.
7) There are enough genuine parts for your choice of scoot kicking around at parts fairs (peanut duck/ wicksteed), local club members, that'll be a quarter of the price of reproduced/ new parts that will clean up to mint condition AND FIT. Beware shiney/ ebay/ cheap and take advice on even the cheapest/ smallest items. It's those bits that if not right, WILL end up as overall costing the most, then add postage or dead loss if not sent back, "cos it was only £X"

8) Think about compromise if you're going to use it, rather than boast it's "original". A hydraulic brake may not be 'original', but bloody useful to preserve scoot/ life when anchors are required in anger. Likewise rubber, lights, wiring, ignition, cables etc.
9) A keeper? Or once done/ ridden for 2 years, sell on. (With a lot of thought this 'should' give you an insight to what it is you WANT to build.
10) This is personal to me perhaps, but I see no logic or practical reason to opt for fibreglass ANYWHERE. There is NO financial gain, no longevity gain (the opposite, from experience), no weight loss gain (the opposite) and no aesthetic gain (the opposite). Again, purely based on personal experience, don't go in that direction.
11) If buying a resto project with all the bits there, I'd suggest that 80% of all parts would be replaced anyway so makes little difference to "Frame up" V "Resto", unless doing as a "rustoration' (currently "en vogue", apparently)
11) I can highly recommend "Lambrettaraver" and "Buzz' "
12) I'd seriously consider asking local clubs/ scooterists if they know of a scoot for sale that's "done". Many, many Lambretta owners have more than one, two, five, thirteen Lambrettas tucked away that may save you a fortune. Local to me, I know 'extremely well' of a 'special', engine all done (186), bodywork/ paint all good (but everyone wants to change paintwork), disc brake, UK tax exempt and overall a cracking good, ready to go scoot, and it's for sale. BUT it's not advertised, and is "just in the garage as a spare". [It's not mine]. There are examples like this throughout the country, you've just got to source one. Put a wanted ad on this site and see what crops up. (Make sure you SEE what you're buying, even if it means travelling, whether from ANY dealer or privately. And do not count on ANY engine being as good as advertised. Base a tuned engine as a NEGATIVE, unless stripped to inspect components (and there aren't many sellers that'll allow that!!), or you can afford to LOSE the value asked extra for it)
Simon.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

Thank you all very much for the advice and the benefit of your experience. Having read your reply's perhaps I would be better waiting until the winter months and working on my own Li150 (with Mugello 186 kit). I think the thing that is driving me towards doing this project is that I am not completely happy with what I have. Although on the surface it looks a really nice Lammy, At a closer look there are a few imperfections. Previous owner / owners have at some point fitted crash bars or spots so the legshield has holes (covered by badges at the moment) it has a PM tuning pipe which when fitted has meant there is a piece cut out of the right hand side panel, a good job done but not to my taste. I would prefer a clubman type (more original) look. Also I would like to fit a hydraulic front brake as suggested. I think the money would be better spent on this rather than something that could take years.

Having seen good and bad things written about the fibreglass panels has anybody any views or recommendations for steel reproductions. There seems to be quite a few on the market but how are they for fit and quality?

Thanks again all.
Paul
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Come on Paul, spill the beans. First fibreglass, now repro panels. What is wrong with original ones? SOME repro panels I've seen are shockingly bad, BUT I've also seen ones that do appear to be over original spec regarding thickness, and the quality very good. Others would have to advise on make/ brands, as I've only used fibreglass, that were rubbish, or italian original or SIL.
The really good repro ones I saw were british made.
Based on the quality/ materials used, I would use them without doubt.
Simon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information