Ali welding

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
Jonn

Decided to give ali welding a go.Whilst practicing I cant get a nice bead.Its nearly round.Have set welder to recommended settings.This seems to be not hot enough,but turn it up,only 2 settings,and its too hot.The gas seems to play a bit part,and have to turn bottle up to max,about 6,with 3 being right for mild steel.Can get reasonable bead on the mild steel btw.Cant slow feed down too much or it welds the wire to the tip.Any advise would be appreciated,if you can understand my waffle.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

what welding machine are you using ?
Yanker

and wire and gas and subject?
Jonn

Clarke Pro 90 mig ali wire 100% argon gas.Practicing on 1.5 and 2mm ali sheet
Yanker

Jonn wrote:Clarke Pro 90 mig
That is the problem
Jonn

Needs something more sophisticated? Its one Ive borrowed to play with .I was thinking of getting one but not sure which,can you recommend one ?
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

I'm no expert but I'm looking to buy a tig set at some point and I've recently spoken to a company called R TECH in Gloucestershire ..you'd need at least 200amp or above and would he looking to spend around £1000-£1500.keep away from cheap crap on ebay too.

Dean
monument7
Main scooter: Li auto conversion 180

I'm no expert but I'm looking to buy a tig set at some point and I've recently spoken to a company called R TECH in Gloucestershire ..you'd need at least 200amp or above and would he looking to spend around £1000-£1500.keep away from cheap crap on ebay too.

I've got an R Tech 160 amp Tig welder which is well big enough for any scooter work you will need, had it for 3 years now and it doesn't get a great deal of use but it has needed 3 main PCB's but apart from that it's an excellent welder. Used with Argoshield gas, correct rods and clean joints you can't go wrong.
They supply a free foot pedal ( a must ) with new welders and sell all the consumables you will need. I am not involved with this company but have used them for a long time now and service is first class.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

You need an AC plant to stand a chance of welding aluminium properly.

Our MIG plants specced to weld Ally are £4K each. We have 3 R-Tech AC 160 amp plants, and we cant fault them for the money.
li150ss2011
Main scooter: li150silver special

have a look on "mig welding forum", its an excellent site with loads of information and some tutorials
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information