BGM 225 problems

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
bjhart
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

Hi
I recently fitted the bgm 225 kit with long stroke bgm crank Phbl 25mm carb with remote foam filter, auto advance module, and ancillotti pipe. I can get up to about 40 mph in second gear but it runs out of puff at about 55mph in top. The next thing i plan to try is removing the filter, I don't expect a rocket ship with this set up but my old225 sx with stage 4 and bored out 22mm standard carb was a lot quicker and that was using an airbox .....Any ideas....could it be dodgy carb?
jason frost
Dealer

60 x110 ? Which packer did you use
bjhart

BGM pro 60mm with 110mm conrod. I'm not sure but was built by an experienced engine builder......
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

gearing too tall ? are you "missing" the power band on your exhaust (which exhaust?), auto advance may be over retarding, just a few ideas but could be something else... :?
bjhart

Ancillottii , gp gearing (Indian) with extra tooth on front sprocket , it pulls well from low speed in top right through to when it runs out of puff
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

What does your timing start at and what does it retard to at maximum retard? Many people fit auto advance retard ignitions and guess the timing, only to find that it retards too far too fast and then makes little power and runs poorly. With such an ignition you must know exactly what it is doing and when, if not, you're better sticking to static ignition timing.

Unfortunately, your problem may be the result of many factors, ignition timing is simply the first thing that come to mind.

Best of luck,

Adam
bjhart

As said it was built by an experienced engine builder, I'm unsure of the exact details of the timing.....but I would have thought achieving 40mph in second would rule out timing?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I'd have thought an experienced engine builder would rule out problems with the engine ;)

Did the engine builder test run the engine in the scooter ? There's obviously a problem somewhere and unless a component (usually electrics cdi/stator) has failed it would point to a problem with the set-up.

may be worth giving a call to the engine builder and ask his thoughts.
bjhart

Ok thanks for the comments so far....
I tried it yesterday between the rain, without the air filter, no noticeable difference observed. I haven't used the scooter much yet but it feels to have less go at the top end than it did with standard 22mm carb, Ancilloti box, 200cc standard cylinder and mac race crank..... is that typical of the set up I have (ie low revving power generated low in rev range)?

SET UP
Full frame Li series 2
Ancillotti pipe
BGM pro 60mm stroke crank with 110 conrod
25mm PHBL carb with remote foam filter
225 BGM pro kit matched to casings
Standard Indian GP 200 gearing with 19 tooth front sprocket
Agusta 6000 auto advance module
SIL type electronic kit

I am wondering if the right approach would be to get it dyno'd to see what is going on and if anything is very obviously wrong, does anyone have a dyno graph they could post for a similar set up for comparison?

Again any suggestions welcome
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I have had to seriously extend the stator adjustment slots to allow a suitable starting point on both motors that I've fitted Agusto 6K units to, otherwise I would have started too far retarded and then only got worse as the motor revved, resulting in the lack of power that you describe. You need to ask the builder what the ignition is set to and what it retards to at max revs. If the stator has just been turned fully anti-clockwise, without it being strobed/checked, then that could be a major factor (not saying it is the only factor... or even a factor, if fitted and strobed correctly).

The motor that you give the spec of should have a lovely power spread, pulling very strongly from low revs and with the ability to rev-on as the ignition advance reduces.

Are you in the position (tools and knowledge... I'm not taking the mick, many of my pals ask me to check their timing!) to check accuracy of the timing marks and then strobe it accordingly?

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information