My Li150 S2

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Hi, bit of a long 1st-post here, hope that's ok. Being a new guy round here I'm not sure what the done thing is, but hopefully you like some pictures. I got a couple of questions at the end.

Had a delivery from LambrettaFinder on Saturday:

The frame number dates it as 1961 and I've got to say I'm really pleased with it. Obviously a whole load of work to do, but considering its age everything on it is remarkably straight. NOVA form done, and time to get the spanners out.

After sitting and looking at it for a while it was quite clear that I need to strip the whole thing down and see what lurks beneath, as various bits were very lose and falling off. The engine is also seized.

The whole thing has come apart quite easily really, not too many sheared bolt heads. A lot of the fixing seem to be brass, is that common?

The underside & barrel are covered in mud & crap:

The headset has a nest in it made of mud:

Frame almost stripped, hopefully complete later on this evening:

A pile of stripped parts:

The engine eventually came out, the bolt was really stuck & needed some heat & the washer-stack-pull tip:

Even the beak is in reasonable order, just some rust holes along the front edge:

One mucky head:

Here's a view down the inlet port, water has gotten in there & I suppose that's the reason for the seize. The piston is at BDC & the bore looks ok.

The biggest surprise was removing the oil drain plug. I expected either nothing or black gunge, but clear new-looking oil came out. Under the chain case it looks quite good:

The clutch and chain look to be in pretty good shape:

What do you think of these chain guides, do they look in good shape?

I wonder if the engine was rebuilt before the scooter was stood up, the back wheel bearing feels perfect with no play. I'd say it's not been used in many years. So I'm thinking:
- Try and get the barrel moving to unseize it & see what state the crank is in (I'm assuming I'll need to change seals at least)
- Dismantle clutch & check gearbox end-plate, bearings & clearance, change rear seal
- Complete the frame strip & start cleaning it up, decide what I'm doing with paint or 'sealed patina' kind of thing

Any suggestions or comments gratefully received.

All the best,
George.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

What a great find , your not going to paint it are you :o LOL i dont think the brass screws were standard fit but you never know, the bodywork looks ok and the engine is very clean , whats your plans with it ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
GeorgeS

I was going to treat the rust and clear-coat it initially, but now wondering if I should get the frame dipped, as quite a lot of rust came out of the tube when I turned it upside down. At least I feel I need to pour some kind of treatment down the tube & then waxoil (or similar). Any suggestions?

I'd like to keep the patina if possible & just get it running and have some fun on it as standard, whilst getting hold of some large-block cases to build something a bit more fun.
bigscottyuk
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

Looks like a great project. In fact it's similar to my recent acquisition.

How you getting on with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GeorgeS

That looks very nice, best of luck with it.

As of October last year mine is fully road legal, here's a quick video of the first engine start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cgsvt7M66Y

The poor old standard 150 engine is terribly slow, probably not helped by running on the piston shown in the video, but I have some large block casings now and hopefully some parts from Rich_T not too far away to put together something more exciting.

Cheers,
George.
bigscottyuk

Great video. Good bit of inspiration for me there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigscottyuk

My plan is the same as yours. Get it running & roadworthy for MOT, register it then take my time building a nice motor.

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions?

Did you leave it as 6v?
GeorgeS

Yes, all the electrics are standard 6v points. I was quite amazed they still worked, I've only replaced the HT lead, cap & plug and the spark is very good. I'm using the original loom but without a battery so have put a capacitor in it's place.
bigscottyuk

i still have no spark.
earth lead changed all good.
continuity checked on plug cap, ht lead & coil...all good.
assume problem is in stator.
pulling it tomorrow night to have a look.
GeorgeS

You can get a meter on the wires coming out of the stator & see if you get any reading when kicking over. Hopefully it's something as simple as the points not opening. You can also meter-test the coil, google has plenty of helpful info on there.

I did have a concern about weak magnetism & found something about spinning the flywheel in reverse, I think it was on a forum about motorboats or something alike if I remember correctly. I did this with a socket and drill for a few minutes and it did feel stronger after doing so, but perhaps that was my wishful thinking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information