Eibar fork rebuild

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
James
Main scooter: Lambretta

Ok I rebuilt the forks on my 1972 Eibar LI150 special a couple of years ago and all seemed well, recently the RS disc brake has been annoying me as it doesn't sit central, managed to solve that issue but then noticed the front wheel not sitting straight, on closer inspection I noticed fork links werent at the same height. Dropped the forks out and I had replaced all the buffers with casa ones but where all the same size, now I'm no expert but have done a bit of research and it seems there's a few variations on buffer size, large at top, small at the bottom or vice versa, don't have the oringal buffers so can't remember what came out, does it matter on buffer size? Also I replaced the rods and springs when I did the forks and noticed the new rods have bent already, could this be due to incorrect buffer size, any advice would be great.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Check the loose spring height in the forks. That will adjust the link alignment more than anything (apart from the forks being bent).
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If you have the second edition of stickys manuel,on page 218 it gives all the buffer sizes.
James

The stops where the nylon washers sit are slightly out, think that's it so will have to shim it out, don't have sticks second edition though, does anyone know the correct sizes
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Nightmare building forks ..........Sticky's book is helpful, but you can't quite measure the distance up the inside of the forks to align as he suggests, as they were seemingly always made slightly out of symmetry so one measurement may differ on one fork leg to the other. You therefore have to use steel packing washers on one side to bring the front wheel into 'true' and sit central of the forks nice and upright and not leaning over.

I used the larger fork buffers at the top and bottom of the fork links, although difficult to get in it was worthwhile as nice and hard. Also put in the strengthened springs and rods from MB's.
James

I know it's annoying, have brought the MB rods now as they looked stronger and there parts are always good if not a little expensive but you get what you pay for, and I've brought plenty of cheap rubbish before. Gonna do as you suggest with some washers to get them even, probably put the casa buffers back in as there still in good condition, there the same size which I don't know if correct fitting but at least it's even both sides. Was even thinking of getting some nice scomadi forks with outboard shocks but have read their not a straight fit so don't think I want any more aggro. Thanks do far
shocky

Have you bolted the hub in with out any internals fitted are your fork links straight
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information