Tyres......to those that don't know this...warning..

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I'm posting this because it's something I didn't know. When you buy your tyres from dealers, parts fairs, mates etc do you check the date that's ON the tyres??? The four numbers in the picture, the first two are the week and the last two are the year. The information below I believe has come from a tyre manafacturer.... :o

Tyres are produced so that the production features remain effective for their entire life span.
Each tyre is still subject to an ageing process which also occurs during storage.
Due to the different rubber compounds and constructions the ageing process is going to be different for each tyre
The manufacturers all add substances to their rubber compounds which help to slow down the ageing process.
If a tyre is stored properly (no sunlight) it will still keep its full performance even after several years (up to 4 years) and can still be considered
"as new".
The age limits generally is around 8 years - a tyre SHOULD NOT BE mounted and used thereafter.

Check those tyres boys and ride safe.... 8-)
Dimitrios_231

Just checked mine,everything looks fine.

:lol:
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

:D
Did you have to do that?
davet

Good post. I bought two tyres from two different Internet sites advertising them as new. One was 8 years old, the other was 6. I only found out when the fitting place I usually use refused to fit them. They said they wouldn't fit any tyre over four years ole as they harden and lose grip. They also said they could tell by the way a tyre banding goes on the machine and by the sheen in the rubber.

Respect to their experience. I did have a fight to get the money back and only got it back when I threatened to post feedback.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Dimitrios_231 wrote:Just checked mine,everything looks fine.

:lol:
Brilliant

Lol
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Train Driver

A 1993 tyre

Well done tim for posting this thread :ugeek:
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information