New skid lid time...

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
a.j

Budget about £100. Would like one of those double visor ones really. Any good?
shocky

Ive got a caberg flip nice but noisy and I wear earplugs visors are expensive
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
ArmandTanzarian

a.j wrote:Budget about £100. Would like one of those double visor ones really. Any good?
For a hundred quid you're talking Lidl prices.

For something made by someone you've actually heard of you're talking at least £150.

As for the double visor, I wouldn't buy anything else. It makes a huge difference.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Double visor?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

ArmandTanzarian wrote:
a.j wrote:Budget about £100. Would like one of those double visor ones really. Any good?

For something made by someone you've actually heard of you're talking at least £150.

As for the double visor, I wouldn't buy anything else. It makes a huge difference.
aren't there "Kitemark" standards or something for crash helmets?

If a £100 Lidl one is able to be certified to the same standard as, say, a £200 one, does that mean the £200 one gives you twice the protection?

Not trying to say Lidl are crap/ branded ones are better, but if both have to reach the same standard what is the problem in buying a cheapo Lidl one?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
ArmandTanzarian

bristolmod wrote:
ArmandTanzarian wrote:

aren't there "Kitemark" standards or something for crash helmets?

If a £100 Lidl one is able to be certified to the same standard as, say, a £200 one, does that mean the £200 one gives you twice the protection?

Not trying to say Lidl are crap/ branded ones are better, but if both have to reach the same standard what is the problem in buying a cheapo Lidl one?

Chris

Up to a point I'd agree. There was a thread on here at some point in which someone said they'd only trust their head in a £500+ helmet. I looked up the test results and the model they were talking about actually scored lower than some that cost less than half as much.

That said, call me cynical but I'm not completely convinced that some of the really cheap Chinese helmets are tested as thoroughly as you might hope. Its pretty easy to print a sticker.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Legislation was changed in Europe so that manufacturers had to self declare achievement of standard vs being tested to achieve...

Also the CE marking is the basic standard... the Sharp rating is more what I'd be looking for on a helmet now...
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

I got a AGV k4 evo delivered from Dainese for the euro equivalent of £126, its got a 4star sharp rating. Having said that there are £60 and £600 helmets with 4 star sharp ratings.
Adyonekenobi
Main scooter: Li150 Special, now TS1 225cc

What price do you put on your head? ;)

I'd have to say 'Buy the best you can afford', you've only got one head :o

Keep the faith (whatever that is)

cheers
Spanner check the running gear before every outing, like in the Army. You know it makes sense!
a.j

diesel wrote:I got a AGV k4 evo delivered from Dainese for the euro equivalent of £126, its got a 4star sharp rating. Having said that there are £60 and £600 helmets with 4 star sharp ratings.

Exactly. Half of this helmet malarkey is 'brand', just like the age old what 2 stroke oil debate. If a £100 lid is tested to european standard & capable of not breaking at a fairly highspeed collision, that'll do for me. I'd sooner wear & £100 lid & a £4 hi viz, rather than a £300 lid & no hi viz.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information