What is the best 12v conversion gear?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Micky Tapp
Main scooter: Lambretta GP200

I have a series 2 Li150 just imported from Italy and totally unrestored in any way. The first job is to convert the existing 6v to 12v so I would like to know peep's opinions on best kit, stator, flywheel etc?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

why?
Scootering since 1968.
scooterslag

bristolmod wrote:why?
Yep if the 6v system is fine then why change it? you may have to remagnatise the flywheel but if well looked after then nowt wrong with points and far more reliable than a lot of the electronic ignition junk doing the rounds. Even the expensive systems (BGM etc) seems to have problems. If the bikes going to left standardish then point are fine
The mack daddy on the left!
Micky Tapp
Main scooter: Lambretta GP200

the scoot will get uprated where I think necessary, more current, brighter lights, stronger spark. I am keeping an open mind though, so interested to hear your opinions Gents
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

simple way is to change all bulbs to 12 volt and use a 12volt regulator.

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/12v.html
Donnie.
philz
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

I have just done the 12v regulator change and must say lights are good with a few revs on. Staying on points if all goes ok even though I bought a 12v kit.
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

My 6v s2 lights work just fine
weeks

Ive had a number of scoots with standard 6 volt lights AC and DC (some lights slightly better than others) but none are as good as a really well set-up 12 volt system.

Suppose it depends on what your using the scoot for, many folk don't get out of the town in daylight never mind darkness on a scoot ................... You can also have 12 volt with points too if you wanted.

Horses for courses I guess

Good luck ;)
coaster

weeks wrote:Ive had a number of scoots with standard 6 volt lights AC and DC (some lights slightly better than others) but none are as good as a really well set-up 12 volt system.

Suppose it depends on what your using the scoot for, many folk don't get out of the town in daylight never mind darkness on a scoot ................... You can also have 12 volt with points too if you wanted.

Horses for courses I guess

Good luck ;)
+1 8-)
watto66

Hi

New electronics can be a bit of a luck of the draw like of lot new stuff however I've had an Indian 12 volt with upgraded CDI etc to Ducati which was really realiable and I have a BGM which in my humble opinion is the best electronic I've ever had especially coupled with the led rear light .

Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information