Silencers

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
vicvega
Main scooter: Scomadi

is there a difference between a 2 stroke silencer & 1 on a 4 stroke engine? Are they interchangeable & if not can anyone explain the difference.
TS1-200

Yes there will be a difference 2T rely on back pressure forcing gases back into the cylinder, whereas 4t likes to have gases out as soon as possible easiest route, I expect someone on here will explain in detail.
Keep on keepin on
vicvega

Won't that be the pipes job, or does it incorporate the tail pipe as well.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

The silencer on its own, and the exhaust as a whole, are both 2t or 4t specific. And every 2t silencer "should" be individual cylinder specific let alone 2t specific. :ugeek: Simon
vicvega

Cheers, do you know the difference between a 2 stroke & 4 stroke silencer and can they be adapted. It Seems from reading a bit about it it's more about noise baffling, ie.packing or stinger.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Thats not that simple. In relation to an absorption muffler (silencer), although most 2T exhausts use a common ID per CC grouping, it's difficult to just say "A 125cc Vespa should have an ID of X".
I would work to a specific, calculated size per engine spec and allow a tolerance of +5% depending on stock material available, or make it. I wouldn't go under my desired calcs. An exhaust/ and or silencer can destroy an engine by being too big as well as too small an ID. When it's a mechanical muffler it gets more complicated but I think I'm the only person who uses/ makes them. Which from a manufacturing point of view, I fully understand as its fair critical to get internal flows/ lengths/ diameters right without destroying the engine. Hence the specific cyl. /port timing/area designated pipes I make.
Generally, a 4T muffler just needs to exit the exhaust and silence it asap. so ID/ flow is much bigger. The valve timings/ area play a big bigger part than the exhaust.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information