Project Li 125 series 2

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

That motor was filled up with water at some point. Get ready to replace EVERY SINGLE PART in it.
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Grumpy225 wrote:That motor was filled up with water at some point. Get ready to replace EVERY SINGLE PART in it.
Yup....... you got that right , sea water and Lambretta engines don't mix......... :( G.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

kevspeed wrote:A bit of progress!
I reckon that chain is stretched.
kevspeed

Doom Patrol wrote:Series 3 engine. So, it's been apart at some time. Love threads like this. Better than a strip and paint job. Keep the photos coming. 8-)
Exhaust system and crankcase cover are definitely series 3,but the engine number is 125LI*6091XX*,which corresponds (i think) with a series 1,BUT,the two exhaust mounting studs are the 8mm thread,so it would make it late series 2 :?
Anyway,a bit more progress
Image :o
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Will it clean up or is the corrosion too bad ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
kevspeed

Toddy wrote:Will it clean up or is the corrosion too bad ?
As soon as the cases are stripped totally,they are going off to be 'soda blasted',im confident that they are not too far gone,as the 'gunge' inside the engine seems to be coming off with liberal sprayings of brake cleaner.
The top end was removed without issue,but the piston is past its usefulness (incidentally it was a 52.4 ),but the barrel and head are fine.The mag housing came off fairly easily,with the use of heat,and the correct tools,so no problem there,except for one bolt has snapped off flush on the outer edge
The crank will have to be replaced,as the big end is well worn,and by the time i fanny about with rod kits and pressing in and out,then balancing,he may as well fork out for a new one.
The only real modification planned,is the fitment of a 12v electronic kit.
At the moment,the engine internals are soaking in 100% traffic film remover!
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Surely that wont remove the rust?
kevspeed

Not exactly 'rust',more of a rust coloured gunge!,ive already pulled the clutch sprocket from its soaking,rinsed it off,dried it,and gone over it with a wire brush,and its come out very well!,ill have a go at the rest before work this afternoon!
kevspeed

Hmmmmmm,i wondered why the worm drive for the speedo wasnt turning!!!,no drive!! :o
Nice spark plug though!!
kevspeed

Yet more progress!,the cases and cover back from 'soda blasting',they came out really well,and only mild signs of corrosion,and that was inside,so happy days :D
Having cleaned up the internals,ill get cracking on the re-assembly today,and post progress tonight 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information