Cyclone 5

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Virgil Tibs
Main scooter: Jet 200

Thinking of Getting QMT to install a cyclone 5 in my Avanti. Question is , is it any good ? Pros & cons. Cheers
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Yes it's good
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I think for a balanced view you need to do some research on this and other forums- a simple "yes its good" doesn't give you a lot of information.

There have been a lot of good reports on these units, and a lot of bad ones- so much so that I would not entertain buying one- but thats just me. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on something I want it to work and not have any nagging doubts in my mind as I'm using it.

Do your reasearch.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

They are very good, if you can keep them in one piece. My cluster went after 50 miles of very careful use. It was replaced without any questions and within days, but it was still hassle. They do seem to be a lottery in my opinion. Some are using them in high powered motors with no trouble, but some have failed in standard motors. The new versions by all accounts are made from formula one grade materials, so should stay together. If that turns out to be the case, then yes get one.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Friends got one and he is thinking of going back to four speed box, says he just does no get the full use out of it (thinks it's better for long runs probably) he admits it was an expensive mistake.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

dennis wrote:Friends got one and he is thinking of going back to four speed box, says he just does no get the full use out of it (thinks it's better for long runs probably) he admits it was an expensive mistake.

If he wants to get rid of it I have a SX200 (Italian) gearbox that I'm not using.... Happy to do a straight swap :D
nastro azzurro

It is good and in my engine (rb225) it works a treat.
It's a lot nicer to ride now; no more thrashing it in third into headwinds and up hills.
Done plenty of miles with it now including the euro this year and I'm really pleased with it. Wouldn't go back to a standard box in this engine now.
BUT, I do still have that niggling doubt about reliability after hearing the problems other people have suffered. So I'm going to get the f1 grade type fitted before next year.
Having said all that, if you're not going to use your scooter much and just do the odd ride out I wouldn't
change it from standard.
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

Mine has been excellent and makes it a joy to ride - muggy 225, 30m dell orto, gori exhaust producing about 15bhp. Pull's uphill in fourth lovely and is always in power. My personal view is that it could be problems with higher power outputs though I'm sure there are those as above who've had good experiences.
mickjr

Don't listen to the f1 grade steel its bollox,they have made it sound good to flog the gearbox its all hype,i work in steel stock holdings,its even the wrong steel there using
it should be sae 8620 black/blue or en36b red/white
if theres enough of us who want a better 5 speed box all get on to mark broadhurst and they would be cheaper£750ish if he had a big run at them,and hes used the right steel in his old ones,its all down to finding a good transmissions manufactors
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

mickjr wrote:Don't listen to the f1 grade steel its bollox,they have made it sound good to flog the gearbox its all hype,i work in steel stock holdings,its even the wrong steel there using
it should be sae 8620 black/blue or en36b red/white
if theres enough of us who want a better 5 speed box all get on to mark broadhurst and they would be cheaper£750ish if he had a big run at them,and hes used the right steel in his old ones,its all down to finding a good transmissions manufactors
why not en39b?
C’est la vie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information